Replacing HDD drive with SSD

Reaction score
Hi, I have purchased a new laptop today with Windows 10 pre-installed. It was on offer and my budget was tight and so I got it with HDD drive, which is much slower than SDD. I was told by few sales assistants that I can replace the drive myself to SSD but they both explained with 2 different method.

1. To make a full system recovery backup (I am doing write now) to USB drive. Then replace the drive and copy or boot from USB after the replacement.

2. To put SSD into a "container" and connect it to a laptop through USB. Then using some sort of software to "mirror" or "clone" everything from HDD to SSD, including apps etc.

My question is what method should I use, what is the best method?

For instance, if I use method 1, will I get all other apps that comes with Windows 10 as well? I know that my personal files would not copy, but that's fine as I haven't got any yet.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Reaction score
A utility to clone the drive should come along with the SSD with instructions.

I have heard that Macrium Reflect is a good utility to clone a hard drive, usually better than the one supplied.
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

I googled how to clone a hard drive and found much info regarding that here;
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2421302,00.asp

I know that did not answer your question but I am sure now that your post has seen some activity that others will be enticed to chime in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. So I suppose based on your links you would suggest to use method 2 and clone it. I was googling myself as well and found that doing the recovery windows on usb first then installing from usb to a new ssd drive is more stable or at least "correct" way.

As I have nothing yet on my laptop saved would you still suggest your way (method 2) or the one above with USB?

Apologies for asking again.

Reaction score
I am not the Tech here so can not make that recommendation but I would add that I think you should make a backup/system image to USB device in case anything goes wrong (if you clone). Be prepared to access the BIOS so you can select the boot from USB option first in advance. I recommend that if you have never done it you should at least go into BIOS now just to familiarize yourself with the process. Check out the Boot options.

Reaction score
Thank you for your support. I have made the recovery usb using windows 10 utility, so no 3rd party tool needed for this. I can navigate myself with BIOS but I need to know what I am doing first. I think I will need to google it more before doing anything. Thanks again.

Reaction score
You are welcome. But until you mark this post as solved others here will still have something to say regarding this matter. Even after you mark it as solved you may get replies. If you remain on this forum you will find that we are tenacious in attempting to solve problems fully. I would not mark it solved until you have completed your project. Good luck.

Reaction score
After googling more I found that the best option in my case would be to create bootable USB drive of win10 and then clean install on a new ssd drive. But I am confused with the options of making the bootable USB drive and I found at least 2 different methods. I wonder if anyone can explain the differences between the methods below:

1. Creating bootable USB drive (using Windows 10 Media creation tool)
2. Create Windows 10 USB drive (using Rufus application)

Thanks again

Reaction score
I have done this three times. Twice using a USB to SATA cable and software that came with the SSD and once using Paragon HD manager via SATA directly. I realize that the latter method probably won't work on a laptop as you probably don't have a 2nd SATA port. The USB to SATA cable method is slow but it was 100% in both cases.

I am thinking of doing this to my own laptop (maybe even today!) and I'll use the USB to SATA method OR maybe just replace the disk and do a clean install.

Reaction score
Can anyone please suggest when creating bootable USB drive for windows 10 should I use "Media Creation Tool" OR "Rufus" application?

I would appreciate your suggestions, thank you

Ask a Question