Resizing Tiles

Reaction score
Here's another bizarro event to add to MS's list to fix. I opened the WINDOW, and took all my app tiles and resized them to SMALL and was pretty happy with the layout. I closed the window and when I went back I noticed that all the tiles were , like, half color and half black? I resized them all to MEDIUM and they seem to stay that way just fine.

:confused:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Perhaps a screen snip of your issue?
Sometimes it's difficult to understand the experience without it.
I have tiles in my Start Menu of various sizes and do not seem to be suffering the same problem.

Tiles.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
how to do it in windows 10 pro?
How do what??
Resize the start menu itself?
If that is what you mean, just grab the right edge of the start menu and drag it to the right.
It resizes in stages so start by dragging it all the way to the right and see what you get.
Depending on your screen resolution and physical size of your monitor it will max out at about 66 to 75 percent of available space.
Hope that addresses your question

Reaction score
Ok....Trouble...I see you have 3 "Categories" of tiles on your screen. I only have two...how do I add those? I know how to rename them.

Reaction score
???? No, I'm at ultra resolution now....how does that add categories to the start menu?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Ok....Trouble...I see you have 3 "Categories" of tiles on your screen.
Not sure exactly what you mean by "categories" resizing the start menu horizontally is, as I stated above as simply as grabbing the right edge and dragging it to the right.
It will not appear to move initially, until you drag sufficiently to the right and then it will jump over to your mouse pointer.
As far as groups you just put them where you want them and name them, you can move whole groups using the group's title bar.
Vertical resizing is basically the same, grab the top edge and drag, it is smoother and responds instantly.
Other than that, I'm not sure what you are asking

Reaction score
TROUBLE....I know that. You have several "categories" of tiles ...I supposed this is your organization. You show APPS, Browsers, Microsoft Office, Desktop Apps. HOW did you make so many.... I can only get TWO. I DID NOT HAVE WINDOWS 8 so this is foreign territory for me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Understood.
OK first of all you either pin an application or app to the tile menu (pin to start) then you drag it into an area unassociated with any other tile group or you don't have to do anything except drag an existing tile. To start a new group. Say browsers, drag the edge tile into a blank area (you might have to resize the menu, then you can add IE from the all apps, windows accessories to the tile menu (pin to start) and drag it next to Edge. Now you have the beginnings of a Browser Group.
Then you name the group by clicking the header just above the tile, then you add more tiles to it.
I hope that was clear. Sometimes I'm not too sure I understand the question exactly.

Reaction score
That was VERY CLEAR...I tried it last night and BINGO! Thanks...I should have spent some time in Windows 8+ before I upgraded to 10 just to understand the nuances...thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You're welcome.
Glad you're making strides and figuring out the new beast.

Ask a Question