Resource (web proxy) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts

Reaction score
Hello,

I can browse the internet normally but When I'm downloading games off steam or trying to sign in on Skype or use Microsoft Feed it says the connection attempt failed and when i tried to troubleshoot it gave me this message : "Resource (web proxy) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts" I called my Internet Host and there is nothing wrong from their side. How do i fix this? and sometimes the browser would be very slow at buffering. Do i have to format my computer? is it a possible virus? or Are there settings that need to be changed?

Reaction score
Hello there, I'm having the exact same issue, have you found any solution?

I've tried cleaning cache and cookies, doing all of the ipconfig, etc commands, looking at the connections options on "internet options" in control panel but I'm not using any proxies, dns and ip are configured automatically, checking the hosts file to see if there are any suspicious entries but there are none, and I'm starting to just give up and think about formatting my pc.

I did check use proxy on "internet options" on LAN connections , then checked use automatically after doing all the ipcofing stuff, and now i can download from steam at a really slow speed, i can't however navigate the app, like going to a store page or cheking the forum inside the steam app.

On a side note, after doing all that i have done, sometimes the message from windows troubleshooting changes from "Resource (web proxy) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts" to "Resource (wpad.domain.name) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts" And sometimes it mentions port 8080 and sometimes it doesn't.

EDIT (Posible Solution):
In Windows 10, open Settings.....go to Network & Internet.....click on Proxy.....Turn off both manual and automatic proxy settings. Reconnect to the internet.

This seems to work, can't confirm yet (everything i've done seems to break after a while).

Last edited:
Reaction score
ethernet doesnt make my pc faster, anyone know anything?
No, it won't. The Ethernet cable connects the computer to the router and the fastest is Gigabit [1000Kbps]. Data speed from the router onto the Internet is determined by the ISP you subscribe to. I have several computers ranging from a Wired Desktop with CPU at 3.40GHz down to a Wireless 11" Notebook at 1.1GHz, download speeds are pretty close to each other.

Reaction score
Hello there, I'm having the exact same issue, have you found any solution?

I've tried cleaning cache and cookies, doing all of the ipconfig, etc commands, looking at the connections options on "internet options" in control panel but I'm not using any proxies, dns and ip are configured automatically, checking the hosts file to see if there are any suspicious entries but there are none, and I'm starting to just give up and think about formatting my pc.

I did check use proxy on "internet options" on LAN connections , then checked use automatically after doing all the ipcofing stuff, and now i can download from steam at a really slow speed, i can't however navigate the app, like going to a store page or cheking the forum inside the steam app.

On a side note, after doing all that i have done, sometimes the message from windows troubleshooting changes from "Resource (web proxy) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts" to "Resource (wpad.domain.name) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts" And sometimes it mentions port 8080 and sometimes it doesn't.

EDIT (Posible Solution):
In Windows 10, open Settings.....go to Network & Internet.....click on Proxy.....Turn off both manual and automatic proxy settings. Reconnect to the internet.

This seems to work, can't confirm yet (everything i've done seems to break after a while).
Omg thank you so so so much!!

Reaction score
Every time i try opening youtube it says "the remote device or resource wont accept the connection" I restarted my computer, I dont have any proxies, i already reset my network settings, i just got this laptop, its a samsung, im using windows 10 and something about version 4? i already updated my windows, I have no idea how to fix this, it was working the first couple of days and now its been doing that. Im about to give up and pay someone a hundred bucks just to reset something. please help

Ask a Question