SOLVED SFC - windows resource protection cannot perform the requested operation

Reaction score
Long story short, I had some problems with my computer slowly starting to be unable to open certain programs (Steam,Battle.Net Launcher,Certain internet sites) and so I put a ticket into chrome and blizzard. Blizzard had the best response and it ended with them telling me, "According to your MSinfo, I see that the launcher is having all kinds of problems and even crashes out often. When I looked into the details of these crashes, I see that the loaded module is Kernelbase.dll (dont worry, Ill explain). After doing some research on this Dynamic Link Library (.dll file), I see that this file is associated to some essential processes contained within Windows and may hint at User Profile Data Corruption." He then starts to inform me how I can combat this, "Run Microsoft's System File checker! & Create a new admin user" I ran "sfc /scannow" got up to 26% and then was told, "windows resource protection cannot perform the requested operation" I'm at a lost. I am unable to upload the CBS log for some reason however I do have it ready. Thank you for your time.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Christian,

Open your File Explorer.

In the File Explorer address bar paste the following:

Code:
%WinDir%\WinSxS\Temp\

Press Enter key

Do you now see the temp folder open with at least these two sub-folders inside it?
  • PendingDeletes
  • PendingRenames

Those two folders need to exist for System File Checker to function correctly.

Generally though when you get the very specific error message you are receiving the simplest way to work around this is to boot your computer into Safe Mode, the open an elevated command prompt there and run the SFC /Scannow command there.

I am not privy to your correspondence with Blizzard but I suspect they may have been suggesting you enable the Built-in Administrator first.

When booted in normal mode, you can:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the UAC prompt appears click Yes
  • At the Command Prompt: Administrator type net user administrator /enable:yes
  • Press Enter key to execute
  • Close Command Prompt

Now when you boot to Safe Mode log in as the Administrator and run SFC /Scannow

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hey Regedit32,

I have both folders (PendingDeletes and PendingRenames). I booted in safe mode after I had used the cmd prompt to give me adm after safe mode. I used SFC /Scannow and again it stopped at 26% and was told the same thing. I've done a lot of research and I used the DISM in the cmd prompt and got this "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. Error 1392"

Regedit32

Reaction score
A couple of possibilities there:
  • A sector on your disk may be damaged

To verify and possibly repair, open an elevated command prompt and execute the following:

Code:
    chkdsk /F /R

Press Enter key to execute

• The Windows Image itself may be corrupted

To verify open an elevated Powershell window (i.e. run powershell as admin).

Enter the following command to scan the image for its health:

Code:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Press Enter key to execute.

Next enter the the following command to check health status of image. This will let you know whether the corruption (if it exists) is repairable.

Code:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

• If there is an image corruption and it is repairable go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench and scroll to bottom half of page where you can select an Edition of Windows 10 ISO to download, then confirm, then select a language and confirm, and finally select 32 or 64-bit version. Note: The edition and language and architecture (32 or 64-bit) need to match your current Windows 10 installation.

Once you have that downloaded see here for information on how to use DISM to repair your image:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

Or if you need help with that just post to forum and I or someone else will walk you through the steps.

Reaction score
Doesn't seem like chkdsk /f /r does anything when I restart. It goes through this screen that saying it's scanning and repairing disk but I still have my problems. I used the Powershell in adm mode and still got the error 1392 saying "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." same with /checkhealth". I have downloaded win 10 in english 64 bit like I have currently. I tried to repair with the iso I downloaded and got "Unable to access the image.
Make sure that the image path and the Windows directory for the image exist and you have Read permissions on the folder." I have checked the folder \windows and made sure it had the "Read-only" checked. this is all so crazy to me, thank you for your patience with me.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Christian,

If the chkdisk was working on repairs that suggests a sector of your hard drive was faulty. It will isolate that sector and do its best to repair files in that sector, but ultimately you may need to replace the hard drive at some point.

If you downloaded the ISO image the default location this is saved to is the Downloads folder for the User account you were logged to in at that time. For example, I am logged in on my pc as Regedit32, so my default save location if I download the ISO is C:\Users\Regedit32\Downloads

You may have specified a different location of course.

As you have downloaded the ISO image matching your current Windows 10 installation you could choose to do an in-Place upgrade of your operating system.

To do that you need to:
  • Open File Explorer and go to the location you saved the ISO file. If there are a lot of files in that location a quick way to find it is to enter 1511 in the search box at top right of the folder you expect to find this download.
  • Once you have found the ISO file right-click on it and select Mount
  • That will open the ISO file up in its own drive letter.
  • Next disable any anti virus software you are running - allow at least 1 hour for this disable, or if you have the option to permanently disable do that. You will re-enable it later once you finish the in-Place upgrade.
  • Next close any other open applications and programs.
  • Finally, inside the Mounted ISO folder click Setup
  • You will be taken through some splash screens one of which allows you to choose to keep files and settings. Do that if you have personal music, photos, documents, etcetera you wish to keep.
  • The computer will then begin installing Windows 10 over the top of current copy - during this process it will use the Windows Update service to check for any important security updates etcetera so make sure you are connected to the internet.
  • The entire process takes 45 minutes to 90 minutes depending on your machine.
  • When completed the computer will reboot and you will initially have to go through that tedious, Welcome to Windows and wait while it sets up (Another 2 - 5 minutes).
  • When its finally loaded back to your Desktop re-enable your antivirus software.

Here is a webpage with the slash screens you will see explaining each step.

Scroll down to lower half of page to the Windows 10 repair installation section to view the instructions.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I've faced this issue before. I ran the following commands to fix Windows resource protection could not start the repair service error.

Follow the steps below

1.Run Command Prompt as an administrator
2.Run this command sc config trustedinstaller start= auto then followed by command net start trustedinstaller

You might be presented with another error - To understand how to proceed from there read the linked article for solution.

Ask a Question