SOLVED Restarting

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes thanks for the post.

It's beginning to become more clear why your system is crawling on boot ups.

Those Runonce entries appear to be two different versions of OneDrive and your attempt to uninstall them, or your OS's attempt to do this action. Normally, once the action is performed the Runonce entry will self-destruct and remove itself from the Registry, but in your case there are two conflicting uninstalls taking place.

I'd recommend getting into the registry and removing both of those entries completely:
  • Right-click on Start > select Run
  • In the Run dialog type regedit then click OK
  • When the UAC confirmation box appears click Yes
  • In the left pane of Registry Editor window expand the keys to this location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
— SOFTWARE
— Microsoft
— Windows
— CurrentVersion
RunOnce​

• Left-click on the RunOnce key so you can view its contents in the right hand pane
  • Note: The ab (Default) listed under the Name column is supposed to be there. It's value by default listed under the Data column will say (No value set) — this is normal!

Do not do anything to the ab (Default)!

Right-click on any other entries in right pane and select Delete

When completed the only thing you should see in the right pane is that ab (Default) line.

Press F5 when that is all you see in right pane.
Next you need to take care of the Run key:

You can see under your Run key query that there are conflicting commands. OneDrive is automatically running in the background each time computer boots up. This directly conflicts with your RunOnce commands to uninstall OneDrive - my guess is that may be why your System is crawling.

You also have CCleaner running a monitoring service. I assume you paid for the full version of CCleaner and this is one of the paid for options. That too may be slowing things a little for you, however, CCleaner generally does a reasonable job and its up to you whether you continue to allow it to run each time you boot computer.

You also have Google Update running on boot up. Personally I don't think you need that service executing on boot up. For starters it will need internet access and if your pc is like mine, unless you powered up your router 2 minutes before you turn pc on, the Windows OS has fully booted to Desktop and there is still a few seconds to wait for Internet access to function. Thus your Google update cannot possibly update and that might cause an issue. Once internet access has begun it can then continue its attempts to update of course.

I'm not familiar with Web Companion. It's there loaded to run on boot up too, but earlier you posted your Startup tab which shows Web companion as disabled. Thus your Run key has a command to run Web Companion, but your Startup folder has an instruction to disable this. Conflict time again! That may also be slowing things down for you.
  • Still in the Registry Editor (You just pressed F5 a moment ago after clearing the RunOnce key)
  • Now in the left pane click on the Run key so you can view its contents in right pane
  • Right-click on OneDrive and select Delete

Whether you also right-click on Google Update or Web Companion and select Delete is your decision to make. Assuming you paid to use CCleaner you might as well leave that alone for now.

Note: The default content of the Run key is a single entry: ab (Default) with a data value: (value not set). There really is no need to have anything else here. But that is your decision to make.

Once done deleting entries you no longer want in the Run key, press F5 then close Registry Editor

• Next, shutdown computer. After a minute, reboot and see if there is any improvement in boot time.

Reaction score
Hi Regedit, it's a new day here.
Followed your instructions; of course starting after being "asleep/hibernate" overnight I haven't timed that restart, but from manual close down to restart the time was 45secs. No flashes on the screen and that little blue spinning wheel was quick to disappear. SO! seems to be a vast improvement. I'll wait till this computer is not being used by others and let it hibernate, then time the restart. Many, many thank yous. So grateful to you "Trouble"and "Saltgrass" I'll get back after hibernate to inform on the time taken, cheers.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

Hopefully, the same results will occur for hibernation too. It ought to be fine too.

If not then its possible your HKEY_Local_Machine branch also has entries in its Run and RunOnce keys that ought not be there.

You can check those by entering the two commands below:
  • First right-click on Start then left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the UAC Confirmation window pops up click Yes
  • Type or copy & paste the following commands in the command window and press Enter key to execute command
    • Code:
      reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
      • SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    • Code:
      reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce"

Note: It is normal to see entries in the Run key here as these will be your Startup folder items. Some will be enabled, others disabled. Just check the entries to make sure nothing else is there you do not want there. If there are entries you do not want open your Windows Registry as you did before but this time navigate in the left pane to this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
— SOFTWARE
— Microsoft
— Windows
— CurrentVersion
Run

If anything is in the RunOnce key though you could delete those ones. Leave the ab (Default) entry alone though as that belongs there.

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
near enough to 5 mins to get the screen workable, I can live with that. W7 used to give up a beep or two when restarting, W10 doesn't beep at all, is this significant?

Ask a Question