Restore Overlaid existing Excel File.

Reaction score
I need help restoring a previous version of a Win10 Excel file. I added book data to an existing file. When I saved, it asked to replace the existing file. I said, Yes. It always says that rather than Update existing file. I then checked my wife’s file which is listed just below mine. Her book data was now same as mine. I doubled checked. Yes, they were the same! I clicked File / Properties, then Previous Versions. Said, there are none? Did a search for TMP file. Nothing. Went to “Start” and searched for Backup. Nothing came up. Wife is not Happy. I am guessing I should of read closer that first prompt about doing a Replace. Stumped how her file came into picture since I was not in it till I looked. Can anyone suggest how I can get her file back as it was before I helped her out.

Reaction score
once it is overwritten, its done. I just hope you have made regular backups of your files and your wife's. If not, you are in the "doghouse" or "sleeping on the couch".
You may get lucky if you look here:
C:\Users\{your name here}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\
this is the auto recover location. Its worth a try

Reaction score
Tried it with no luck. Thanks for the effort. I've no idea how i did a replace on a file I was not in? Always something. I did have a backup of it in Macrium Reflect (free). But when I selected it for a restore it wanted me to sign-up for a trial upgrade. Did that. When I selected it, said it did not recognize that file? No restore. Now dealing with a po'd wife. She lost her record of 10 years of book reading history. Again, thanks for the reply.

Ask a Question