SOLVED Return to Windows 7 from 10?

Reaction score
After reading some positive reviews of Windows 10, I "upgraded." My work depends on SolidWorks 2015 SP4 CAD software, but it is not compatible with 10. It crashes every time I try to save a part file. My workstation came pre-installed with Windows 7 so I don't have a disk. Is Windows 7 hiding on my drive somewhere? Is it possible to uninstall Windows 10 and revert to 7?

Reaction score
On conditions :
1. You installed Windows 10 less than 30 days ago.
2. You have not deleted the windows.old from you main drive.

If you meet the above 2 conditions, you can go back to Windows 7 by following these........
Left click at the Start button > left side, select Settings > select Update & Security > left side, select Recovery > right side, under Go back to Windows 7, click the Get Started button > follow the prompts to go back to Windows 7.

Reaction score
On conditions :
1. You installed Windows 10 less than 30 days ago.
2. You have not deleted the windows.old from you main drive.

If you meet the above 2 conditions, you can go back to Windows 7 by following these........
Left click at the Start button > left side, select Settings > select Update & Security > left side, select Recovery > right side, under Go back to Windows 7, click the Get Started button > follow the prompts to go back to Windows 7.
Thank you for the step-by-step guidelines. OS seems to be going back in time! I appreciate the prompt reply and resolution.

Reaction score
To GoFastKindaGuy,

2 things you must do right away.................
1. Set your Windows Update to Manual. If you leave it at Automatic, Windows 10 will be downloaded to you system again. Manual Update setting will keep that from happening.

2. Create a Windows 7 Installation disk so that you can use it to reinstall.
I have a pre-installed Windows 7 Home Premium from Acer Aspire. I created a set of 4 DVDs. Acer calls them Factory Default Disks. I had used the set more than once to restore back to Win 7.

If you intend to stay with Win 7 for now, have a habit of creating system image backup and store it to an external hard drive. Do it about once a month or after you have installed a large amount of updates. I have used the system image backup to restore back to a working system a few times when I had issues I could not resolve.

Last edited:

Ask a Question