SOLVED No return to sleep after scheduled backup

Reaction score
I am running windows 10 version 1607 on a PC.
I have set a schedule to wake the PC from Sleep and run Windows Backup at 2:00am.
Up until a week ago, the PC has returned to the sleep mode once the backup has completed.
But now it doesn't though the backup does complete successfully.
I've checked all the obvious settings which seem OK.
Any help on this would be appreciated.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi donwb,

There are a number of possible causes with this scenario you are describing.
  • Leaking memory from drivers associated with your keyboard or mouse
    • That would indicate the need to reinstall or update if possible the drivers as the current ones are faulty
  • Your mouse if physically moving
    • i.e. vibrations are causing mouse to move and thus the System believes a User is still using PC
  • Security Software is running in the background
    • Antivirus is scanning and will not allow System to sleep
    • Software is updating definitions or something else, etc
  • Other Windows processes are running such as Defrag

To help narrow down what is wrong in your case you can try the following:
  • Press Windows key + S together to give focus to your search field
  • In the search field type Command
  • In the search results locate and right-click on Command Prompt then select Run as administrator
  • Click Yes when the User Account Control prompts you
  • Now in the Administrator: Command Prompt dialog type or copy & paste the following command:
Code:
powercfg /systemsleepdiagnostics

Press Enter key to execute

After a short while you will see a message telling you, 'System Sleep Timeline report saved to file path C:\WINDOWS\system32\system-sleep-diagnostics.html.'

Now just open File Explorer, and navigate to C:\Windows\System32 folder then locate and open the report.

Reading through that will more than likely help you isolate the cause of your PC not wanting to return to a sleep state after your Backup task has run its course.

A likely candidate would be the Windows 10 LockScreenContentServer.exe process which is located in your C:\Windows\System32 folder. If that turns out to be the case you ought to go to the Windows Settings > Personalization and change your Lockscreen display from slideshow to picture as a continual running slideshow can prevent the System from sleeping.
Good luck with the report. Hopefully, you'll discover the root cause and be able to resolve it.

If you are not sure how to read the report, just copy it and paste it here, or upload a zipped copy of the HTML file for someone to review for you.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit 32
Since this posting, I have reviewed my power settings and as a result the problem seems to have gone away - at least for the last 2 nights.
However many thanks for your suggestions which I will revisit if the problem should return
Regards
donwb

Ask a Question