Right-hand click menu missing from Sony VAIO after W10 update?

Reaction score
I updated to Windows 10 a week or so ago, and since then I've noticed that I no longer seem to have a right-hand click menu function: on Chrome/Explorer, it opens the link I'm clicking on in another tab or window, but on everything else either nothing at all happens or the scrolling arrows appear. Does anyone know why this is, and how to get it back? It's a nightmare! Thanks.
009.png

(to be clear: I'm talking about the menu that has copy/paste/select all etc on standard programs, or thesaurus/font etc on Microsoft Word.)

Reaction score
Are you using a USB connected mouse to evoke the right click context menu?
I ask, because there may be any number of issues with a Sony Vaio Computer and Windows 10 when it comes to the native hardware components.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/os10upgrade.pl

No, just the regular touchpad! I've been informed that if it's a driver issue I won't get it fixed until November, but if someone knows another way that'd be great!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If it is a driver issue, then there probably is not a way around it, as Windows 10 is not interpreting input from your trackpad properly.
If you can determine which trackpad it actually is that is installed on your machine (elan, alps, synaptics, etc.,) you might try the hardware manufacturer's website and see if they have a driver that might help.
Other than that, my suggestion would be to pick up a cheap optical mouse for the time being and see if that works any better.

Reaction score
If it is a driver issue, then there probably is not a way around it, as Windows 10 is not interpreting input from your trackpad properly.
If you can determine which trackpad it actually is that is installed on your machine (elan, alps, synaptics, etc.,) you might try the hardware manufacturer's website and see if they have a driver that might help.
Other than that, my suggestion would be to pick up a cheap optical mouse for the time being and see if that works any better.

How would I go about finding out what type of trackpad I have? (Sorry, novice here!) And thank you, that's a really good suggestion! We've got a mouse somewhere, so if that works that'll be great.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How would I go about finding out what type of trackpad I have?
It should be listed in device manager.
Simply right click it and choose properties
Select the "Details" tab and then
Change the drop down arrow to Hardware IDs
Select then right click the first line in the contents of the "Value" box and choose copy.
Paste it into Google and you should find something there that should give you a clue as to the device mfg.
In my case it shows
USB\VID_045E&PID_00CB&REV_0104
When I paste that into Google I end up with
Mouse USB Microsoft Hardware

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As for a cheap USB Mouse.
I picked one up at the local Walgreens a couple days ago for my wife, for $5 bucks.
She goes through them like penny candy, so I don't dare by her something better.

Ask a Question