RTM coming soon.

Reaction score
Looking like quite a change of plan.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-redstone-an-update-to-windows-10-due-in-2016/

As I see it (?), maybe Cortana and Spartan will be withheld until a little more sophistication is added. MS are obviously now committed to get Windows 10 out on to the market, so are curtailing new developments.
Interesting though, that the insider will continue. Not a bad idea, when you consider the rather random system of giving feedback and suggestions on previous OSs. I am guessing than when it reaches a later stage, The insider will move on to Windows 11, or whatever.
From the comment, it looks like we will see a "Service Pack" 1 next year.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was reading about that same thing recently https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/get-your-domain-name-ideas-ready-now.446/
The vNext thing I guess is going to be Microsoft Speak for "Version Next" or "Next Version", something new we'll have to learn to decipher.
With the equivalent server version languishing and the equivalent phone version not doing a whole lot better, the entire process is getting a bit confusing.
They've bitten off quite a bit and there would seem to be some difficulty in chewing.
Personally, I'll just put my feet up and enjoy the entertainment.

Reaction score
LOL. I already did. A little personal dissatisfaction with Microsoft has driven me back to using Windows 8.1 almost 100% of my computer time. I do want to keep up to date with the development, but no longer too keen on struggling through this period. I just pop in, now and again, to check the update situation.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I mostly use Win 8.1 since it is on my living room computer where I spend most of my time. My Windows 10 machine is in a small bedroom I have set up kind of like an office. So far Win 10 is pretty stable and functional for mundane, everyday tasks such as surfing the net and playing a game or two and a few other activities. I've no idea if it is ready for widespread release to the masses and everything computers are expected to do though. My Win 8.1 install started going wonky a few weeks ago and kept deteriorating to the point I formatted the drive yesterday and reinstalled the OS. I'm still getting it repopulated with programs and settings. Hopefully it will remain pristine till Win10 is released. I wonder if Windows 10 will only be available as an upgrade installed through Windows update channels or if there will be a stand alone version available for a clean install.

Reaction score
I wonder if Windows 10 will only be available as an upgrade installed through Windows update channels or if there will be a stand alone version available for a clean install.
I'm fairly certain it will be the same as it always has been. In-place upgrade as well as custom install for clean installation (especially for upgrading Windows 7). The in-place upgrade has always been for the previous OS generation, not the OS two generations behind. And people with new machines will need to get Windows 10 somewhere, so the stand alone media will be a must have.

Ask a Question