Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up.
Downloading it now.
Nothing I can find indicating how close things are to final RTM

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Getting a little tired of going through all the trouble of installing these damn builds only to discover that multiple Universal Apps open and then crash / close almost immediately.
System File Check says all is good.
The Store App troubleshooter doesn't fix it
The PowerShell script doesn't fix it.
Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't fix it.
An in-place upgrade / repair doesn't fix it.
Microsoft needs to come up with a Universal App "FixIt Tool", something that works and repairs these nuisance problems, if they want anyone to actually use any of these things.

Reaction score
Getting a little tired of going through all the trouble of installing these damn builds only to discover that multiple Universal Apps open and then crash / close almost immediately.
You are making me feel as if this next update will be a joke.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just what I was thinking.
Boy I hope not or else we're going to get a bunch of posts about photos, weather, music, tv & video, etc., etc., not working / closing / crashing.
AND I for one, can't figure out how to fix the damn things, short of clean installing.

Reaction score
checked my 'Store' 'My Library' after the 14393 upgrade,
loads of app updates (Including Store)

checked on my 1511 PC, updates not available on there yet

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep..... I noticed and of course updated everything there.
Makes me wonder if they are maintaining separate versions of the apps in the App Store, a set for threshold and a different set for redstone
OR
IF there is only a single version, but the builds aren't arriving with the latest version(s) and because you would have the latest version on your current build / install when you upgrade your build with an older app version, if it is somehow messing things up.
It's certainly a mystery to me.

Reaction score
You guys are talking as if Win 11 was about to be released and not an update to Win 10..

You do feel one of these builds will be released to the public shortly after July 29th?

Reaction score
You guys are talking as if Win 11 was about to be released and not an update to Win 10..

You do feel one of these builds will be released to the public shortly after July 29th?
Yes one of them, we will get the Final Release before the GP (The Insider Group) Any fixes to it from now till then are only bug fixes. There will be no Win 11:)

Reaction score
The Win 11 reference was not meant to be literal. But if the public upgrade after the 29th will be a build upgrade and not just a cumulative update, expectations of related problems will be high. :eek:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
expectations of related problems will be high
Absolutely, and perhaps deservedly so, but....
I remember how flawless my upgrade from 8.1 to 10 was, I almost convinced myself to forego my usual wipe and clean install.
That was certainly not everyone's experience but since we only have thirteen and a half thousand members instead of thirteen and a half million I expect it was so, for most.
AND
Even with a super-successful upgrade, I'll still wipe it and clean install it anyway after a few days of testing the upgrade.

Reaction score
Absolutely, and perhaps deservedly so, but....
I remember how flawless my upgrade from 8.1 to 10 was, I almost convinced myself to forego my usual wipe and clean install.
That was certainly not everyone's experience but since we only have thirteen and a half thousand members instead of thirteen and a half million I expect it was so, for most.
AND
Even with a super-successful upgrade, I'll still wipe it and clean install it anyway after a few days of testing the upgrade.
I got a dumb question. Will the upgrade take longer if you have more programs like Games installed?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep....
IF you choose to "keep everything", then the upgrade with have to parse those items set them aside, install and then put them where and as they need to be.
Actually it's a pretty sophisticated process. I used to think that it just insinuated its' parts into the necessary areas and left everything else pretty much where is was, but I'm pretty sure, now.... after having watched it for the umpteenth millionth time there is considerably more to it then I thought.

Reaction score
Yep....
IF you choose to "keep everything", then the upgrade with have to parse those items set them aside, install and then put them where and as they need to be.
Actually it's a pretty sophisticated process. I used to think that it just insinuated its' parts into the necessary areas and left everything else pretty much where is was, but I'm pretty sure, now.... after having watched it for the umpteenth millionth time there is considerably more to it then I thought.
Thanks, I will wait till this build is officially the Final release.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
This build is a piece of Crap. It BSOD's while Idle doing nothing. It is far from being ready.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any chance it is the same tweak you had trouble with the last time??

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the relevance is because I've not been keeping up with the build numbers. My second machine that I never use has been used by my son the last two summers. Unfortuneatly I don't have a license for the machine and have been running it with Insider Preview and a "Please activate" caption in the bottom right.

This last automatic update bricked Windows and it failed to boot. I spent the last few hours reinstalling Windows 10 on this machine because Microsoft chose to automatically break consumers machines.

Ask a Question