Running XP Mode on a virtual pc

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I believe that XP Mode ended with Windows 7 and was not brought forward into Windows 8, Windows 8.1, nor Windows 10.
If you have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit installed and you have the necessary supporting hardware you might want to investigate Hyper-V as a virtual machine solution, it's native, it's free and it's pretty robust.
Otherwise......
You'll have to look to a third party software solution like VirtualBox or VMware Player.

Reaction score
If you have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit installed and you have the necessary supporting hardware you might want to investigate Hyper-V as a virtual machine solution, it's native, it's free and it's pretty robust.
Otherwise......
You'll have to look to a third party software solution like VirtualBox or VMware Player.
I've spent a little bit reading up on Hyper-V and it seems the only solution is if there is a Windows XP license key to use for activation. As to which is the better option Hyper-V, VirtualBox, or VMware, I don't have a clue. Out of all the XP licenses I've had, I can't get one install in a VM cause they all died with the hardware they were installed on. Windows XP is old, outdated, has been bought several times over, and should now be a free activation to anyone that still needs it. Especially if they are installing from a VM in a newer activated Windows version.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Activation and extended support is not really the same thing. Extended support requires man hours. Activation can be done by server automation. All they need to do is open the door by setting up the activation server. No need in continued support such as fixing critical updates.

Reaction score
I believe that XP Mode ended with Windows 7 and was not brought forward into Windows 8, Windows 8.1, nor Windows 10.
Otherwise......
I do have Hyper-V and I downloaded xpmode then followed instructions (

http://www.download3k.com/articles/...hine-to-Windows-10-or-8-using-Hyper-V-00770#5)

to install xp as a virtual machine to no avail, I am not a fully competent computer person so I have no doubt that I did something wrong along the way!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What part went wrong?
I just did a quick read of the instructions at that link you posted and they look pretty good to me.
Are you getting any errors or dialog boxes popping up?
Maybe give it another go. See if you have the same problem at the same point in the process.

Reaction score
What part went wrong?
I just did a quick read of the instructions at that link you posted and they look pretty good to me.
Are you getting any errors or dialog boxes popping up?
Maybe give it another go. See if you have the same problem at the same point in the process.

In Hyper-v it couldn't find the XP file. I have downloaded virtualbox and am currently reading the instructions. I do have a copy of XP (original) with the licence key so I may try to install it that way. I won't need an internet connection I just want to run Photosuite 3 so it will never be connected to the internet. I'll let you know what happens but I am of on holiday for a week so it won't be tried until I get back. Cheers!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not sure that you can use the VHD that came as part of the XPmode product in Hyper-V or any other Virtual Machine product for that matter.
I do have a copy of XP (original) with the licence key so I may try to install it that way.
That's a much better idea as to how to get it up and running.
Personally I would stick with Hyper-V and use that method

Ask a Question