Safe or Unsafe

Reaction score
Is this safe or unsafe on my computer, I use Bitdefender not Avast..whatever it is doing I can't get rid, always says denied.
Screenshot (72).png

Reaction score
Hi Iceboy,

did you install any 3rd party apps that also install other apps without noticing it?, have you looked at your apps list to verify Avast is not installed?.

Do you have CCleaner installed? (the free version!), you can use it to remove apps and any remnants of them!. :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
The only thing I used was ccleaner, but I got rid of that and I'm left with this.

Reaction score
There's also a way to manually get rid of it too. I can't remember where I had found it, but it does involve deleting a registry key and deleting the folder it's in. I had to do it on a couple PC's that I used to run avast on. The fix trouble mentions is probably much easier.

Reaction score
Trouble, I tried the avast unistall..but in safe mode I can't sign in..it says wrong pin number?.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Trouble, I tried the avast unistall..but in safe mode I can't sign in..it says wrong pin number?.
Safe Mode with Networking may be required. Option #5 rather than #4 when using advanced startup settings.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My pin is my password
Not sure what that means exactly, but...
Assuming for the moment that both your password and your PIN number are exactly the same in all characters, and....
You're receiving a "wrong PIN number" error, then switch from the PIN login to the normal Password login and type your password as you know it to be and use the EYE spy icon to confirm that it is being entered exactly as you expect.

Reaction score
I would also reset your PIN to something other than your normal user password as there might be a system conflict there?. :)

Reaction score
Right did everything in safe mode, but it didn't remove the avast reporter as shown below, but it did put another folder in registry which I had to remove again..so I'm stuck with this somehow, I have seen other people having trouble too and they don't know where it came from either..I've done a malware scan in safe mode but nothing comes up. There seems no way to remove this even in safe mode it always comes up access denied.:mad:

Attachments

• Screenshot (74).png
    Screenshot (74).png
    95.9 KB · Views: 230

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Click the Start Button and simply type
cmd
When it appears at the top of the list generated by this search, right click it and choose "Run as administrator"
In the Admin Command Prompt window type
sc delete AvastWscReporter

I don't know if a Safe Mode boot will be required to accomplish this successfully.
You could try it, in a normal boot and resort to a Safe Mode boot if necessary.

In your image attachment above, it reflects a path to an Avast folder on your machine which might need your attention
AND
Additionally you might want to look at your Task Scheduler and make sure that there isn't a scheduled task that keeps making a call to some hidden files related to Avast that is complicating your life.

Reaction score
Also, open Services again and look for any Avast entries and right click it and disable it if you can, I know you said that you are having access problems though!. An example below. :)

1600930905367.png

Reaction score
Each time I do that it say's no access unfortunately. Trouble, I get this too

Attachments

• Screenshot (77).png
    Screenshot (77).png
    165.7 KB · Views: 250

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
An antivirus manufacturer called ESET makes a tool that is said to be able to remove remnants of previous installations of many antivirus products including Avast.
You may want to give it a try

Make sure you download the appropriate version for your system architecture (32 or 64 bit).
There is also a step by step user guide link which you may want to read to be sure you don't have any unintended consequences.
Never had to use it myself but it might be worth having a look.

Reaction score
Now I have two problems. Since downloading the Avast tool remover, I now get a splash screen at the beginning asking me to choose between win10 or avast start..what was in that bloody avast utility Trouble and how do I get it to start as normal.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I read something about that a few days ago when I was researching this issue for you.
Have a read of this article and see if anything in it matches up with what you are encountering.
Avast installs a mock operating system in order to complete the uninstallation. It will then force the user to reboot the computer in safe mode. Since Avast was the last operating system to install, it becomes the default OS. When the computer restarts, the Avast OS loads and opens windows in safe mode. Avast then proceed to completely uninstall, leaving behind the uninstaller and the registry keys and a few files. Though your antivirus will no longer work, you will need to complete the uninstallation by removing residual files.
SOURCE: https://appuals.com/how-to-remove-avast-left-over-files-completely/

Ask a Question