SOLVED General safety of file hosting sites.

Reaction score
I need to download a file from the file hosting site We Transfer. The file is being shared but the site requires a agreement for cookies and Terms of service.

I feel a little hesitant about agreeing since I do not know what they may put on my system and I am not a joined user of the site..

If I wanted to be safe, would the Sandbox in Win 10 do that job or could cookies still be transferred to my actual system? Should I really need to go to VM setup to fully protect my system?

Maybe I am just being paranoid but I don't think I should have to agree to anything, just to download a file, if I am not a member of the site..

Thanks.. My next project may be setting up my first virtual machine.. ;)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
would the Sandbox in Win 10 do that job
I believe it would. I think that is one of the feature / function that it is touted for.
My next project may be setting up my first virtual machine
Enjoy and keep us posted.
I used to maintain several VMs when I was still supporting clients.
I even kept the VHDs for XP and Vista Business although I don't use them actively anymore, but....
I do use one as an Insider machine just to keep down my need for actual physical machines.

Reaction score
I have my browsers set to delete all cookies and other stuff as soon as they are closed, I don't think that cookies are generally harmful, they are just nosey gits!- :)

Reaction score
For file sharing I make sure the designated recipient has a suitable program, compress the file/s and password protect then send them the link and password.

Reaction score
I agree most hosting sites may require the member to sign the system policies type requests but someone downloading should not. If you think about it, I would be paying through the cookies for advertising, for the users free use of the site..

Anyway, I used the Sandbox to download and when I closed it, I got the warning all content would be removed so I feel OK about it. I do assume the site may have some type of info they can use, such as an IP address but I am not going to worry about that..

I am still going to research setting up a VM.. ;)

@Wolfie I have done the remove all cookies thing in the past but I do go to sites where those cookies can be helpful.

Ask a Question