Samsung 1 TB 970 evo plus M2 slow on Asus laptop?

Reaction score
I own this two year old Asus Ultrabook.

It originally came with a Samsung OEM NVME drive with 512 GB capacity. To increase the life of my machine, I bought a Samsung 970 EVO plus 1 tb to replace the existing NVME. The machine detected the new drive with no issue. However when I installed Windows 10 Pro 64 - bit edition and tried a read/write test the read/write caps at 1800/1700 (Same result in Samsung Magician). I have a similar drive in my Z390 based desktop and it runs at full speed. I tested this new drive in the 2nd. M2 slot on in my desktop, and got 3500/3000 in read/write.

Both machines come with PCIE 3.0 x 4 M2 slots, but the bios on the laptop (running last version 314), has a default SATA setting which is only AHCI, and no additional NVME settings that I can change.

I have installed the latest Samsung NVME controller driver, I can't install the RST og AHCI driver because no physical SATA is connected.

So the question I hope someone have answer for.Could the motherboard somehow be wired to only use 2 PCIE lanes to the NVME slot? Hence the read/write slowdown when used in the laptop?

I have written Asus in hope of an answer, but haven't head anything yet. And since the machine came out 2 years ago, then I not expecting an answer from that front. So I hope someone hear have an idea ? :)

Attachments

• drive4.png
    drive4.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 249
  • drive2.png
    drive2.png
    288.8 KB · Views: 239
  • drive3.png
    drive3.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 305
Reaction score
So it does seem that again ASUS has not provided the proper Driver or the slot is not actually a PCIE 3.0 x4 since the SSD tests fine in the desktop as it should, and only 1/2 speed in the Laptop. The 1st I would do. I get the latest BIOS and Firmware and make sure you get the CORRECT set. the wrong set will mess up, things... Never take the other guys get and install for granted, DO it your self.

Reaction score
So it does seem that again ASUS has not provided the proper Driver or the slot is not actually a PCIE 3.0 x4 since the SSD tests fine in the desktop as it should, and only 1/2 speed in the Laptop. The 1st I would do. I get the latest BIOS and Firmware and make sure you get the CORRECT set. the wrong set will mess up, things... Never take the other guys get and install for granted, DO it your self.

I have installed latest drivers but tried the ones from Asus, but they are from 2016 for this model. The ones from Intel doesn't make a difference either.

I have done some research and my understanding its this port which controls the computers NVME drive.

So as you say either its firmware issue for machine which is causing the drive to slow down, or they lied and constructed a board which both settingswise and on paper is a pcie 3 x 4, but runs only 50%.

Attachments

• port.png
    port.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 223
Reaction score
Have you DL'd the files from Samsung for Windows 10. made a big diff to my system. also did the old NVMe which came with run at proper speed. There is a difference in Retail Samsung and Samsung OEM NVME.

Reaction score
Have you DL'd the files from Samsung for Windows 10. made a big diff to my system. also did the old NVMe which came with run at proper speed. There is a difference in Retail Samsung and Samsung OEM NVME.

Thank you for your reply. The original drive ran 2000 mbs read/1700 write.

Which DL files are you talking about ?

Reaction score
Samsung has special drivers for Windows 10. and 2000mbs/1700mbs is rather slow.
1590074129935.png

1590074182884.png

and I run Samsung Driver Windows 10 specific for all my NVMe M.2
Actually I have driver 3.2 Installed - specs are from Driver 3.1
1590074418766.png

Reaction score
Just see there is another update.
View attachment 11758

Thank you for your research. I have the latest controller driver installed version 3.3. But there isn't a physical driver for the drive for Windows 10?

I am no expert (far from), but could I been needing some sort physical driver to install during Windows installation?

Could the PCIE slot not be wired to the CPU ? Could that be the issue?

Attachments

• drive5.png
    drive5.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Reaction score
I only have SSDs installed. and have a Win10 Driver also. 3.3 is the latest controller. I starting to think it is your ASUS. not the SSD, you would need a mobo tester to verify the slot.
thought you might want to check the slot in LT, to insure that all pins are in proper condition, no crud, carefully clean. then replace and test again....

Last edited:

Ask a Question