Saving and Moving Apps to a USB Drive

Reaction score
I have found some information online about how to save and move apps to a USB drive on Windows 10, but nothing about how to do it if the system isn't giving you the option in settings. If you look at the screenshot I attached, you'll see that the "New apps will save to:" drop-down menu will not allow me to change the storage location. I formatted the USB drive to NTFS, and it still will not allow me to change the storage options. Is there another way to do this? I feel like I'm missing something here.

storage.PNG

Reaction score
Try moving several GB of data onto the USB drive and do a disk cleanup on C:
Then go to file explorer and right click on Music,Pictures or Downloads. I think you'll see a 'location' tab. I think you will be able to change the location to d: and move the data. I picked those directories as they tend to be big

The original plan might work if the USB drive is formatted Fat32 which is the default IIRC for USB thumb drives.

Ask a Question