Automatic Enhance feature - not saving

Reaction score
When I view my picture in Windows 10 Microsoft Photos I have it set to automatically enhance my photos. However, when I go to share the photo the enhancements are not saved. I can click edit and try to configure it myself but can never get the pic to look as good ad the "automatic enhancement".
Please advise on how to save the photo when it's automatically enhanced.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Kimberley,

The automatic enhance feature when turned on will when possible enhance a image you open.

This feature is designed to make the image better to look at, but these settings are not saved to file automatically.

If you like the changes, and actually want to change your original file then you need to manually save the file again with a new name.

Reaction score
Hi Kimberley,

The automatic enhance feature when turned on will when possible enhance a image you open.

This feature is designed to make the image better to look at, but these settings are not saved to file automatically.

If you like the changes, and actually want to change your original file then you need to manually save the file again with a new name.

That's my problem, can you please give me the steps to save the file with once it has been automatically enhanced? The only option I see is "edit" then "save" however once I select Edit the photo is back to it's original state.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Here is a sample picture taken on phone and now opened in Photos app with the auto enhance feature turned on:

sample1.png

Notice the Enhance button has a check

If I click the Enhance button to turn off the check the original image displays like so:

sample1a.png

As you can see I am not a good photographer and original image is less clear.

So to save the automatic enhancements simply:
  • Ensure automatic enhancement is turned on
  • Now open photo or image
  • Now click Edit
  • Scroll to bottom of choices and click Save a copy
Sample image

sample1b.png

If I now go to folder where my photos are my new copy is present with same file name, but (2) next to it, and the original file is there too unchanged.

sample2.png

Now if I turn off the automatic enhance feature in Photos app, and open the original image and the saved copy (2) that was auto enhanced you can see the new copy is enhanced.

Original file unchanged

sample2a.png

Original File after auto enhancement and choosing Edit > Save a copy

sample2b.png

Hope all that made sense. Sorry my sample images are not the greatest but hopefully good enough to demonstrate how to save your auto enhancements while still keeping original file safe.

Reaction score
I did exactly what you recommend: open photo, make sure the photo is already enhanced, click edit then save. I've done this on several photos and the clarity, shadowing and all just isn't the same. Here is an example of the original pic

Attachments

• IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    920.7 KB · Views: 475
Reaction score
And here is the one I tried to save the auto enhancements...

Attachments

• IMG_0829 (2)....jpg
    IMG_0829 (2)....jpg
    1,008 KB · Views: 461

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused then. The second file is a larger file, so something has changed.

Reaction score
I noticed that too. I even had to crop it in order to add it to the thread.
All I do is click edit and save.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I think then given it definitely works for me, but apparently does not work for you, we'll have to take a more drastic action to see if that can resolve the situation.

Click on Start > Settings cog > Apps

Scroll down and left-click once on Photos

Now click on the hyperlinked: Advanced options

Now click on the Reset button, then when the prompt pops up to advise you about what will happen, click Reset again.

The Resets are Microsoft's new way of troubleshooting their apps. Hopefully, a reset can get the Photos app working correctly for you.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I think I may have some bad news for you now:

I was in the Store today and download an update for Photos app.

After installing I launched Photos, then clicked the Ellipsis . . . > Settings and noticed this:

enhance.png

It would appear that Enhancements will no longer by saved. It is now just a feature that will improve the visual features of some images when viewed on a monitor or screen.

Reaction score
Re: reset...If I reset the app will it also delete my photos?
It states "If this app isn't working right, reset it. The app's data will be deleted".

Re: bad news...yes, I read that and that's what prompted me to create this post. It's just silly they offer a great feature "for your eyes only" and can't save and share. It would take hours upon hours edit and save each photo with the program does it for you.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The data deleted is the settings you have for the Photos app.

It does not delete the actual photos from your Pictures folder, or any other folder you have pictures in.

After resetting the Photos app, you'll need to open it again and allow it to refresh for a moment, which is when it detects photos on your computer. You can then select or deselect any folders you want or do not want the Photos app displaying.

Ask a Question