Scanning by Windows 10

Reaction score
If I want to scan a USB stick for antivirus in my computer. How to do that by using Windows 10 embedded antivirus?

Reaction score
Try this, open "This PC > right click on the USB stick and select "scan with" from the program list.

Reaction score
I couldn't see in my computer.

1.png

Reaction score
it should look more like this:
2017-06-04_090113.jpg

do you have by chance a Home edition (not that I think it should matter)?

or you can open the WD security center and click on [Virus & Threat protection],
then click on [Advanced scan].
click on [Custom Scan] then [SCAN NOW].
the following windows will give you options which drive/folders to scan. chosse then your USB drive.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
According to the image that you have posted it looks like you have an Antivirus product from McAfee installed on your computer.
Perhaps choosing "Scan" from the context menu next to the "McAfee Shield" would accomplish the task you wish to perform.
Often when a third party security suite is installed the native Windows Defender product gets turned off or otherwise deprecated

Reaction score
My one is a McAfee Internet Security. I do not know whether it will scan USB stick. Also when I tried, it produced a strange message.

1x.png

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Although I haven't used anything from McAfee for decades, it is not unusual, depending on the particular security suites settings, for it to scan (automatically) and external drive when it is connected.
Many USB thumb drives have a light to indicate a connection and when it is flashing, generally indicates some activity. Does yours have a light and if so can you observe it flashing, indicating that McAfee might in fact be scanning it?

I'd give it some time, depending on the size of the drive it could take a while and afterwards attempt a manual scan.
AND.... in the mean time you might want to explore the various settings of your security suite and see if you can determine how it handles removable devices when they are connected.

Reaction score
Geez, I need to read the post more thoroughly... I missed the McAfee icon.
my apology...:oops::oops:

Trouble is right. Your suite may scan drives when they are connected. I have not used McAfee in years so I cannot help you with the internals of that program...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Geez, I need to read the post more thoroughly... I missed the McAfee icon.
Happens to me all the time.
As a matter of fact I had to look closely to figure out why, what I would normally expect to be there, wasn't there.

You might want to consider joining me in blaming my advanced age for my lack of attentiveness.
Once I blew past 65, I blame everything on being old. Doesn't seem to work on my wife but seems to get me out of practically everything else.

Reaction score
Well, I am just past 57 and showing the same symptoms. It is hard getting old(er).....

Reaction score
Flashing Light was there when I inserted USB. When it stopped I tried to scan it manually but I got the above message.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK..... I wish I could help further, but as I've mentioned I do not use McAfee.
It might be something better addressed by an actual McAfee user or perhaps their own support forum community.

Can't you just open the McAfee software and stop the scan? Then maybe you could evoke a manual scan without getting that message. Does it show that it is scanning? Does it show the progress of the scan?
Some third party security suites can be very zealous in their, well intentioned ( I guess ) focus on keeping you "safe".
As a consequence, it is incumbent on the user of such products to understand how to configure them properly, so as to make them do what you want them to do, when you want them to do it.
AND
Everyone of them, is slightly different in how they can or cannot be configured.

Reaction score
I recommend removing McAfee and activate Windows Defender and then see what you get, you can always re-install McAfee again once you are finished!. ;)

Reaction score
I communicated with MacAfee forum about this matter , according to reply nothing to worry. Following message is form MacAfee forum.

1.png

T_J

Reaction score
I've used McAfee products since 2012 on 2012 Dell Windows 10 desktop (got 3-yr subscription from Dell; then bought ~$18 yearly subscriptions from Amazon from 2015 to now). Currently using McAfee Total Protection.

I put a USB thumb drive in desktop, USB drive flashes, right clicked on USB drive, left click SCAN (next to M), McAfee scanned drive perfectly. McAfee works great, I recommend not uninstalling McAfee.
Photobucket could use some improvement maybe.

Screenshot-1476_zps7pliyv1b.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are varieties of antivirus software in the market which are as follows:

McAfee LiveSafe
McAfee Antivirus Plus
McAfee Total Protection
McAfee Internet Security

I can understand about McAfee LiveSafe. It is given in the following web site.
https://promos.mcafee.com/offer.asp...DaHHZ8t_mdWC0PtS72bD0dz7nNz_75cS0HxoCk8rw_wcB

I assume(?????)

-Internet Security only protect your computer when you surf internet.

-Also Total Protection protect you when you surf internet and when you use USB stick used in other computers.

-I do not understand about “Antivirus Plus”

Please explain the differences if you know.

T_J

Reaction score
Here’s info I found on Amazon for five 2017 McAfee products.

A McAfee AntiVirus; B McAfee AntiVirus Plus, C McAfee Internet Security, D McAfee Total Protection, and E McAfee LiveSafe.

Defend against viruses and online threats – A, B, C, D, E

Steer clear of danger online with web safety tools – A, B, C, D, E

Device Protection - 1PC, up to 10 devices, 3 or 10 devices, 5 or 10 devices, unlimited devices

Remove junk mail before it reaches your inbox – C, D, E

Look after your kids with parental controls – C, D, E

Manage your passwords with True Key app – C, D, E

Protect your privacy with secure storage – D

Back up your important files and photos – E

For 2017 I'm using Total Protection 2016 Key Code $11.06 + $4.48 ship (Amazon).
For 2018 I already purchased Live Safe 2016 Key Code $18.95 + Prime free ship (Amazon).
To install older version (2015, 2016) software, Key Code should work (downloads from McAfee); where Online Code may not work (downloads from Amazon). If you buy 2015 or 2016 version, I believe the software gets updated to latest version during download/install, so you can save some money vs buying newest version.

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Personally I'd never use a product that sounds like a MacDonald's menu choice.

Trouble, I may have received an email intended for you:

Dear Trouble,

We accept full responsibility for you passing 65, however, you are just going to have to wait a little longer before we release Windows 70.

Regards,

Bill

Reaction score
Update Windows Defender, temporarily turn off McAfee, this will activate Defender. If you don't see "This PC" icon on your desktop, open explorer, right click on the USB stick and you should see scan with Windows Defender. Malwarebytes should also be included in the scan options.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If Windows Defender Security Center is activated, then:
Start > Settings cog > Update & security > Windows Defender > Open Windows Defender Security Center
Now select Virus & threat protection > Advanced scan > Custom scan > Scan now
Select the drive letter for the USB thumb drive you wish to scan then click Select a folder
As you have a third party application installed for your Antivirus security then its likely that the REG_DWORD (32-bit) value: DisableAntiSpyware has been added to your policies in the Registry with a Data value of 1, so modifying that to be 0 would re-activate Windows Defender.

Location of Registry key likely affected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
  • REG_DWORD (32-bit) value: DisableAntiSpyware
    • Data value: 0 (will reactivate Windows Defender)
    • Data value: 1 (will deactivate Windows Defender)

For those now on Windows 10 Version 1703 some third party security software may also deactivate the Windows Defender Security Center itself, by modifying the Registry.

Location of Registry key that may be affected to stop the Windows Defender Security Center:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend
  • REG_DWORD (32-bit) value: Start
    • Data value: 0x00000003 (3) disables the WDSC completely
    • Data value: 0x00000002 (2) is the default setting and enables WDSC

Ask a Question