SOLVED Schedule USB Backups

Reaction score
can i do a backup on a usb hard drive that i schedule for say sunday? what i would like if possible is to backup to the usb hard drive and then have it delete the old backup so i do not fill up the hard drive with backups? i tried a bunch of backup programs and they just do not seem to do what i think i want to do.

years ago it was either windows or i may have had another backup program that let me do 1 or 2 backups and then it would delete the oldest one. i never ran out of hard drive space.

now with doing backups i run out of a 500gb drive in a few weeks and when i run out of drive and have to delete the backups.

anyway can windows 10 do this and if so how do i set it up. thanks

Reaction score
do you want to do am Image backup or a file backup??
The Acronis True Image I have (2014 version) can do either and can delete the oldest if needed. I am sure there are other programs that can do what you need.
I do not know if Win10 has a sufficient backup build in for your purpose...

Reaction score
I had my win10 PC set to take an image every Sunday at noon to a backup hard drive mounted in my PC. Go to your control panel backup&restore, you can schedule it from there, it's pretty easy.

Reaction score
thanks guys. what i have done so far is i got this program called karan's backup. and i did get it set to copy my documents and pictures and my download items. those are the e.e programs i have on my pc. so i ran this program now for about 3 days and i deleted files randomly from the usb hard drive and it replaced the missing files. then i deleted and formatted the usb bu drive and it replaced those files at the scheduled time i sid to do it.

then i ran 3 .exe files on the usb bu drive to see if they would install from the bu drive and they started to install to the point that i just canceled them so they would not reinstall over when i have on my pc. and it looks like it is working. thanks for the ideas.

i did do that with the window backup but it want to put the complete drive onthe bu and that takes the complete drive. i can get the os back but then i lose the programs and it saves the pictures and doc's but it will not just over wright the backup. this karan's program will check the bu drive and only put in what is not there.
thanks for the help.

Ask a Question