Screen refresh very slow

Reaction score
No matter what program I'm running lately, my XPS 8700 Dell desktop computer has gotten very slow at refreshing the screen's view. Indeed, when a folder is open and I delete a file, it never refreshes that folder view until I click Control+R. When I look at the systems performance I can find nothing that's slowing it down. My CPU is usually under 10 percent being used and the memory is less than 20 percent.

Drive C is 79 percent full and D is 70 percent full. I've run the maintenance wizard and deleted everything but cookies. Still the screen refresh rate is very, very slow. This is a new phenomenon that started sometime after the last update for Windows 10 Pro ver. 1903 Build 18362.239 on Aug. 8.

Intel Core i7 3.60 GHz. Core Clock 925 MHz
Under AMD Radeon Gaming setting "surface format optimization", and "Shader cache" are selected. For Video it's just "default".
Under Display "HDMI scaling" and "HDMI Link Assurance" are checked. I've never changed any settings there.

The only programs that start with the computer are Realtek Audio Background processes, Logitech Setpoint Event Manager, PrintDisp, Windows Security Notification, and Copernic Desktop Search. The Startup Impact on Logitech and Copernic are "high". The others are medium or low. I've been running all those a long time, well before the screen issues began.

Rebooting helps the situation for awhile, but it soon stops refreshing normally and slows way down again.

Can anyone advise what else I can try to make screen refresh work normally again? Thanks.

Reaction score
Drive c is at 79%. Is it an SSD? If so, capacity issues may be a contributing factor.

Reaction score
If it is a spinner it might need a defrag OR even a full chkdsk. It is not impossible that the disk is failing.

Reaction score
Drive c is at 79%. Is it an SSD? If so, capacity issues may be a contributing factor.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've reduced Drive C down to less than 50% full. At the same time there was another update enacted by Microsoft. The screen refresh does seem to have improved, but it's not as good as it should be, or used to be. "C" is not SSD, but Drive D, which came pre-installed with the computer is solid state and holds 1.8 TB. I found that my browsers and download helper apps where all downloading to C by default. I've fixed that so that nothing goes to C anymore. That should keep "C" from filling up again.

When I look at "Check disc" under properties, it says that the drive is maintained automatically by the system and doesn't need to be checked. So I ran chkdsk from the command line prompt and it still says it finds "no problems".

I wonder whether a new video card on the motherboard would improve things?

Ask a Question