SOLVED Screensaver not working

Reaction score
I have been looking for the screensaver fix for weeks now and finally came across one that worked for me.

step 1) open up device manager
step 2) Go to Human Interface Devices
step 3) Disable HID-Compliant white board.

this seemed to fix all my screensaver and power option problems.

Good Luck.

James
Under Human Int Dev I do not see any HID-Compliant whit board.

Reaction score
Just a follow up to my previous post . Seems like leaving my browser(MS Edge) open or minimized has solved my screensaver not working issue. It's been two days and it works fine as long as I keep my browser open. Does anyone have any idea why a closed MS Edge browser would adversely affect a screensaver?

Reaction score
my screensaver is currently not working in windows 10 and since its not working it wont let the display turn off or go into sleep mode. When I was using windows 7 the screensaver would work fine and ever since i upgraded it it will not work now. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem or not or if anybody has any suggestions on how to possibly fix it that would be awesome.

I had this problem. Found a BIOS update for my HP Laptop. Applied it. Fixed the issue. Very strange. Check your BIOS people.

Reaction score
Leaving MS Edge browser open is still working as my solution. However I originally had it set to time out at 1 minute to have my screensaver activate. I decided to increase the time to 5 minutes. When I made that change it worked until I shut down my PC. When I turned on my PC the next day not only did my screensaver not activate but somehow the 5 minute setting to activate it changed back to one minute. I changed the setting to 5 minutes and then back down to 1 minute hit "apply" and "OK". Now it works again. Apparently mine will only work when set to activate at 1 minute and I keep MS Edge open(or minimized). If this isn't the strangest thing...

Reaction score
I upgraded from W7 to W10 five weeks ago. That's when I began to have issues with my screensaver not activating. I have spent many hours over the past five weeks reading the many posts and trying the suggested fixes. None worked. My screensaver issue was very intermittent working sometimes and not working others. However I think I found out what was causing the problem. It seems when I closed my browser(Microsoft Edge) the screensaver would not time out and would not activate. When I leave my browser open or minimized the screensaver works. No idea why but so far today it's been working as it should. I'm cautiously optimistic about this work around(not an actual fix) and I'll see if tomorrow brings the same results.

In My case I found that I had several USB devices that were preventing the screen saver from coming
My Battery back up from APC; My Cessna Flight Yoke: and My Rudder peddles,
When I unplug them the screen saver works as it should.
I have looked at the device manager making sure no device had the box checked that says keep from waking window checked. But the problem still exists
Lucky for me I am using a third party screen saver that has a short cut so all I have to do is to launch that.
But it would be nice for it to work the way it was supposed
I had no problems with Windows 8.1 with the same devices Why the change is what I want to know?

Reaction score
I finally figured out that I just needed to exit from my Cubase software - and the screensaver works..
(Many softwares create power requests that obstruct power shut-down or screensaver launch)..

Cubase is a music recording software - where I doubt a studio recording session would appreciate the computer going to sleep (or screensaver to launch)... Much the same as you wouldn't want your computer to go to sleep during a Netflix movie...

You can create overrides for any driver or program that blocks sleep (or screensaver) - just look up:
"powercfg - request override" on google.. This would be how to defeat a software from blocking sleep mode..

Reaction score
I noticed today that the screensaver stopped working again. I went into the usb connected human interface devices and saw that they had all been turned on again, apparently by one of the recent updates. I disabled the whiteboard interface (again) and the screensaver is now working.

Reaction score
#37, Joey B was right on for me. New Toshiba laptop w/touchscreen. Went to device manager and had 7 different "human interface devices" enabled that didn't seem to do anything when disabled. Upon shutdown, windows self-updated, and upon reboot I now have screensaver. KEEP IN MIND - HIDs include your mouse and keyboard, so be selective! Somehow I feel like Cortana has something to do w/this...

Reaction score
I have been trying to resolve this problem for weeks. I am experiencing the same behavior as #47, Doris Leesman -- screensaver, monitor shutdown, sleep mode all activate if set to 1 minute, but do not activate if set to 2 or more minutes.

At one point I created a shortcut which runs the nircmd to turn my monitors off, since it wouldn't do it automatically. Interestingly, after running this shortcut, the screensaver etc. started working properly again. Unfortunately, Windows 10 automatically updated several days later and now it doesn't work any more, and running my nircmd shortcut doesn't fix the issue.

Really exasperated at this point. I've tried disabling and unplugging every device, updating every driver I can think of... to no avail.

Reaction score
cluktisch,

1. You do not need screensaver in order to turn display off or go to sleep.
in fact, screensaver is a thing of the past. It is no longer necessary.
If you care to read this article regarding screensaver.......
http://www.howtogeek.com/128644/htg-explains-why-screen-savers-are-no-longer-necessary/

2. Please go over this tutorial of Power Plan Settings :
It shows you how to set the time to turn off screen (display) and when to go to Sleep.
Option Two may be more " Windows 10-ish " to understand.
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2843-power-plan-settings-change-windows-10-a.html
"1. You do not need screensaver in order to turn display off or go to sleep.
in fact, screensaver is a thing of the past. It is no longer necessary."

David? What is wrong with you? Have you zero consideration that people might actually like running screensavers whether they are necessary or not? Have you no empathy of compassion for people who have comfort zones, and conform to familiarity? Are you actually that so embedded in technology and being a member of the geek squad that you are void of humanity? That's cold, and sad. In my business we have a name for it, "Narcissist". or "Obsessive Superiority Complex".
Yes, you offered a couple of links to explore, yet again, you simply assume the ones asking the questions are beneath you. Can you not conceive that many have already tried going through their power setting, checked and rechecked all of the other setting, parameters and protocols? Have carefully examined their BIOS, ran antivirus, antimalware, and any software to detect malicious content or error? Hey, maybe in some cases the problem started just after Microsoft sent one of their screwy updates. You would not be so foolish to deny that that never happens. You can probably guess, I'm not such a person who would but it if you tried. No, I am the ultimate consumer advocate. I know computers better than Microsoft knows what they are doing. What Microsoft does, is force manipulate profit.
Thus, when such annoying things pop up on one of my computers, I run it through the entire gauntlet, when that does not come up fruitful, I then go to the forum to see if someone has already provided a quickie solution. Yet what I mostly find is snot. There is usually an answer somewhere on some forum, but I won't spend too much effort searching, when I am more than capable of stripping down any OS in existence and make it far more efficient, faster, and productive. The downside is it can effect software compatibility, so, I have to load up my last crunched and packed version of the OS, fire it up, modify it so it will be compatible for the software I wish to add, add the software, and then strip down the OS.
Well, you might jump on it and say. "Aha, that's your problem then, all of your tweaking." and I would reply, "Aha, no, because if you were paying attention, I said computer in the plural which means I have many computers. So, I have one running clean and pure purchased with Windows 10, to top it off I purchased it directly from the manufacture who provided me, by request, my Windows 10 not to be part of the package bundle that they provide in accordance to license with Microsoft, but with independent original Microsoft Windows 10 Professional disks as well as the manufactures disk kept separate. So as some people may get 3 or 4 disks crammed together, or worse, it is part of what is on the hard drive of the computer already installed and one must make their own disks. I received a total of 8 distinct disks.
I don't speak in technical terms, because, frankly that is just rude. Billions of people own home computers, most of them depend on them for fairly basic tasks. So they ask basic questions in their innocence because they lack the knowledge and the skills. They enjoy the convenience of having a computer, but they are annoyed at the complications that keep showing up and the fact that some one eventually tells them they need to purchase something else.
Then there is the minority who makes the biggest noise. These are the ones who are addicted to being on top of the latest little quirk of technology and indulge in every toy that comes along. Good for them. I have an old computer that is running on Windows 4.1 before it was called Windows 98 or project "Memphis" and that baby never crashes. I have an old Atari and a few Commodores. 37 computers and building.
Yes, folks there is an elite society of us that work on the principles of computer philosophy and psychology, No, not the psychology of the computers themselves, but the people who both manipulated them, use them, abuse, them and build empires because of them. It is a small study, but one I enjoy, and it's fun.
Yet, I am not an answer man, when I change an Operating System to work specifically for me, and not at the whims of the creator. I do it because it is my theory that I purchased the product, therefore by rights, it is mine. I can do what ever I wish. Yet, I do understand law, and thus I am unable to share my solutions because it is illegal to redistribute product in any form.
So, yes, I am guilty of being a computer nerd, but I am not a geek. Well, that depends on who's definitions you conform to. The one I accept is nerds just mess around and geeks who also mess around try to be prophets to the masses who own computer. Problem is, they often get a bit too omnipotent, less human. Ironic that we are chasing the dream of Artificial Intelligence, when in fact it already exist in the technical eggheads that have lost their human core. "Hello, my name is David, how may I assist you?" too funny.

Take this narrative with a little tongue in cheek, it is truth of reality but delivered in terms of satire. A form of humor that pokes at everyday human actions, behavior, and statements. If we can't take a joke, or laugh at the human condition, then we truly are lost. None of what I said was fiction. Every statement concerning myself is entirely factual, my statements of the masses of computers in the hands of consumers is correct. We are victims of corporate capitalism. There is little we can do to fight back. Yet, I can at least stir the pot.

Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but something that worked for me was changing my power settings preset back to "Dell" (I have a newish dell laptop with windows 10). I just adjusted my power settings, messed with the setting that tells the screen to shut off, and shortly after, my screensaver returned. Before, I was on the "Balanced" setting. My guess is there was some sort of hardware/software glitch with the "Balanced" mode that my Dell laptop didn't like.

Reaction score
Just an update. I too had this issue and started investigating HID devices. Did not have any white board device. I disabled 1 of the 'Virtual Hid Devices" and the screensaver began to function again. If disabling one HID device doesn't work try each one.

Reaction score
I have already read this post. It begins with the canard that screensavers are no longer needed. That's not the point of our questions. We enjoy our screensavers - we just can't get MS to trigger them after a set period of time. The second comment is to adjust the power settings - but as I've already indicated, mine are set to sleep/hibernate Never/Never. Even so, Windows 10 goes into sleep mode, rather than triggering the screensaver. This thread is marked SOLVED - but there is NO SOLUTION to this problem.
I've had this same problem but it wasn't any gamepad driver. I don't really know what the hell it is but I'll tell you what I did. I had the screensaver set at 15 minutes. I don't know what it is about 15 minutes but I set it at 1 minute and it worked then I set it at 2 minutes, so on and so forth, finally I set it at 5 minutes and it works just fine. I don't know if the sleep mode works because I never put my computer to sleep. Hope this helps!

Reaction score
my screensaver is currently not working in windows 10 and since its not working it wont let the display turn off or go into sleep mode. When I was using windows 7 the screensaver would work fine and ever since i upgraded it it will not work now. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem or not or if anybody has any suggestions on how to possibly fix it that would be awesome.

Congratulations to RedWin10 smart solution !!! I just pluged out my usb microsoft wireless optical desktop receiver (for microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard) and the screen saver began to function. Then I plugged again in ANOTHER usb port and the screen saver was still working. Why one usb port works and the other interferes with the screen saver I don't know. But computer practice is an art as well as being science. Thanks RedWin10.

Reaction score
I have a possible solution. I finally solved this problem for myself and maybe it has something in common with everyone else's problems.

I set my screensaver for 1 minute and unplugged one USB device at a time (every minute) until the screensaver started working. Turns out my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick is the culprit. As soon as this joystick is disconnected my screensaver works.

I have not tried installing any Logitech software or drivers (other than what installs automatically). Leading up to the the software download page it shows "Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10" but the next step where you select OS/x-bit it only goes up to Win8. I rarely use the joystick so for now it will stay unplugged.

Wow, unplugging my flightsim's Logitech joystick actually worked for me Jan2023. However, I did not pick up on it sooner, as the screensaver would still occasionally work, for some unknown reason....

Ask a Question