SFC + DISM + Update FAILURE

Reaction score
I am sorry, But there does seem to be a loss in communication here. I did not mention the diagnostics. The second link allows you to choose your OS. One thought, I presume the upgrade was Home to Home or, Pro to pro?

7: home edition. 10: home edition. ISO from MCT: home edition. All 64bit.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Ben,

As I am not overly familiar with Dell computers I'll leave you and Dave to discuss the ins and outs of testing your system through their utilities.

I did note Dave's concern regarding your computer originally being built with Windows XP in mind, but also recall you mentioned to me the system was refurbished and had Windows 7 Home 64-bit on it when you bought it. If I recall correctly you said you had the Product Key sticker on the computer, but there is no Recovery Partition on the Hard Drive that you know of.

If all that is correct you can go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Enter your Product Key to verify it, and provided its not a Manufacturer OEM key you ought to be able to download Windows 7 Home ISO, should you have to resort to clean installing the system back to Windows 7 Home and start over with a new upgrade to Windows 10.

For example my computer came with an OEM version of Windows 7, so if I enter its Product key on that page an alert comes up telling me to refer to manufacturer for Recovery Disks.

Hopefully, whoever refurbished your system stuck a non OEM on the hard drive :)

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Just to clarify. I am not referring to the (Windows 10) recovery partition, but the Dell factory recovery partition. Quite different animals.

Reaction score
Hi Ben,

As I am not overly familiar with Dell computers I'll leave you and Dave to discuss the ins and outs of testing your system through their utilities.

I did note Dave's concern regarding your computer originally being built with Windows XP in mind, but also recall you mentioned to me the system was refurbished and had Windows 7 Home 64-bit on it when you bought it. If I recall correctly you said you had the Product Key sticker on the computer, but there is no Recovery Partition on the Hard Drive that you know of.

If all that is correct you can go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Enter your Product Key to verify it, and provided its not a Manufacturer OEM key you ought to be able to download Windows 7 Home ISO, should you have to resort to clean installing the system back to Windows 7 Home and start over with a new upgrade to Windows 10.

For example my computer came with an OEM version of Windows 7, so if I enter its Product key on that page an alert comes up telling me to refer to manufacturer for Recovery Disks.

Hopefully, whoever refurbished your system stuck a non OEM on the hard drive :)

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I have no way of knowing if windows 7 was stock or oem. Will contact supplier before trying the dnld. Concern is that the iso will fail just like the updates. Thanks for the link! I have that saved for future reference.

Reaction score
Just to clarify. I am not referring to the (Windows 10) recovery partition, but the Dell factory recovery partition. Quite different animals.

Since there is only one recovery partition and it is empty, it seems I'm screwed. Reversion to 7 had a 30 day limit. I used it three times early in the process 'cuz 10 could not connect to the web with their nic driver..

Regedit32

Reaction score
I have no way of knowing if windows 7 was stock or oem. Will contact supplier before trying the dnld. Concern is that the iso will fail just like the updates. Thanks for the link! I have that saved for future reference.

Hi Ben,

If you enter your Product Key on the sticker into that website you'll soon find out if its OEM or not.

I understand your concern about downloading the ISO of Windows 7 and it possibly being corrupted too though. Afterall, given all your issues its quite possible your Windows Update service is corrupted. There is a troubleshooter for that if you visit Microsoft's website:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-troubleshooter

Could a friend or work colleague allow you to use their computer to download the ISO files? Could you go to a local library and use a computer there? So long as their computers are not having troubles that seems like a simple means to resolve this once and for all. I'm not sure about the Windows 7 ISO, but I've downloaded the Windows 10 ISO and know that was 4.11 GB in its compressed size, so all you'll need is a reasonable sized USB to copy the ISO over so you can transfer it to your computer later.

Many years ago a corruption to one of my systems running a 64-bit Windows Vista led me to eventually telephone Microsoft and have a chat with them. This led to me having a regular email contact with their technical support team. We spent a lot of time redoing some of the methods I had all ready tried to resolve the issue.

Eventually it became quite apparent to them this was just not going to work. At that point they asked me to take a photo of my Product Sticker and email it to them. 1 Week later two brand new DVD's including Service pack updates were couriered to me with instructions on use. Even a new product key, although I was able to continue using my own legitimate product key.

Microsoft to my knowledge have not changed that policy. Give them a call, they may be able to courier some new Windows 7 DVD's to you, or maybe even Windows 10 ones; it would be handy though to have the Windows 7 ones.

When I used the DVD's they sent me and reinstalled the operating system I had to download a lot of updates, but other than that all went well and Windows Vista never gave me troubles again.

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Ben,

If you enter your Product Key on the sticker into that website you'll soon find out if its OEM or not.

I understand your concern about downloading the ISO of Windows 7 and it possibly being corrupted too though. Afterall, given all your issues its quite possible your Windows Update service is corrupted. There is a troubleshooter for that if you visit Microsoft's website:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-troubleshooter

Could a friend or work colleague allow you to use their computer to download the ISO files? Could you go to a local library and use a computer there? So long as their computers are not having troubles that seems like a simple means to resolve this once and for all. I'm not sure about the Windows 7 ISO, but I've downloaded the Windows 10 ISO and know that was 4.11 GB in its compressed size, so all you'll need is a reasonable sized USB to copy the ISO over so you can transfer it to your computer later.

Many years ago a corruption to one of my systems running a 64-bit Windows Vista led me to eventually telephone Microsoft and have a chat with them. This led to me having a regular email contact with their technical support team. We spent a lot of time redoing some of the methods I had all ready tried to resolve the issue.

My ATT Z222 will not communicate with my computer and its all I have for imaging.

Eventually it became quite apparent to them this was just not going to work. At that point they asked me to take a photo of my Product Sticker and email it to them. 1 Week later two brand new DVD's including Service pack updates were couriered to me with instructions on use. Even a new product key, although I was able to continue using my own legitimate product key.

Microsoft to my knowledge have not changed that policy. Give them a call, they may be able to courier some new Windows 7 DVD's to you, or maybe even Windows 10 ones; it would be handy though to have the Windows 7 ones.

When I used the DVD's they sent me and reinstalled the operating system I had to download a lot of updates, but other than that all went well and Windows Vista never gave me troubles again.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
In turn, I'll leave it to you, regedit. I am not getting the feedback I hoped for, particularly in connection with the Dell site, so I'll drop out. If he goes to the Dell site, as suggested, it will auto examine his computer and give him the original product key (XP), the service Tag, and the history.

Reaction score
I am sorry, But there does seem to be a loss in communication here. I did not mention the diagnostics. The second link allows you to choose your OS. One thought, I presume the upgrade was Home to Home or, Pro to pro?

100% Home Edition.

Reaction score
In turn, I'll leave it to you, regedit. I am not getting the feedback I hoped for, particularly in connection with the Dell site, so I'll drop out. If he goes to the Dell site, as suggested, it will auto examine his computer and give him the original product key (XP), the service Tag, and the history.

All I got was the service tag and history. How can I get the product key?

Reaction score
Use this program.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

But the Service tag and original key (XP) are located on the same label on the PC.

The Windows 7 key. however, if you do not know it, and speccy cannot find it, is a matter between you and the person)s) who installed it.

Last edited:

Ask a Question