SOLVED Shared folders not visible on other devices

Reaction score
Hi, I am running Windows 10 and trying to set up a network so that I can transfer photos from an android phone onto my laptop hard drive for back up. I've been using an app to do this and it has worked in the past brilliantly (called "Sweet Home" if interested). Unfortunately since upgrading to Windows 10 and changing my phone it doesn't work. I have also been trying to test the network using ES File Explorer. I have tried setting this up on another laptop running Windows 8 and it works no problem, so the issue must be with my settings.

I have set up a home group, made sure everything is shared where it should be and permissions set so that the network should be visible to everyone, but the android device can't see the network at all. For reference when setting up the network I followed the step by step in the link below on the Windows 8 laptop and it worked.
http://www.theandroidsoul.com/connec...windows-65379/

One strange point that I think might be related on the Windows 10 laptop, is when I get to Step 2 (of the link above) under "How to enable sharing on Windows?" the "Share" button is greyed out, even when the folder is not shared. I have to share it by clicking the "Advanced Sharing" button instead.

Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me insane!

Reaction score
Answered my own question. Kaspersky was blocking everything on the LAN. I had to go into Kaspersky settings and change the LAN from "public" to "trusted".

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that information.
Glad to hear that you managed to get it sorted out.
Was Windows 10 already showing your network as "Private" rather than "Public" and is it now?
Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Windows 10 has the network as "private" which it remains now. I wasn't aware that needed to be changed, how do I change it to "public"? The app I am using works, but I still can't access the folder on ES File Explorer. I assume this is why?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope... you answered my question.
You want to keep it as private not public.
As far as "ES File Explorer", I'm sorry but all I have presently are some Windows Phones and no Android Phones to test on right now.
Typically in the past when I have move files to and from and Android Phone, the Android always showed up in Windows File Explorer once I had "trusted" the connection on the phone and configured the USB connection as MTP, I could simply drag and drop the files normally.
Looks like ES File Explorer is suppose to support doing something similar over a WiFi network.
I was just reading this
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/share-files-between-android-and-windows-with-es-file-explorer/
And apparently it uses SMB. Perhaps the version of SMB might require some tweaking in order for it to pass muster when connecting to a Windows 10 device.
There is an interesting thread over here
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/cant-see-nas-in-explorer.762/#post-25160
Where some members were having trouble seeing a NAS (Network Attached Storage) that also uses SMB.
Not sure that it will help but might be worth a try.

Reaction score
OK thanks. ES File Explorer worked on the Win8 laptop without any changes, I don't really need/use it to be honest I was only using it as a tester to see if it was the app or network which required changing. I usualy just connect a USB if required.

"Sweet Home" is different though, as it automatically transfers files from the android device to my pictures folder when I plug the phone in to charge at night. It also files the photos in folders by month and year. Very useful since I don't have to worry about backing up pictures that are taken during the day.

Thanks for your input though, I appreciate the help.

Ask a Question