Sharing a OneDrive file

Reaction score
I'm trying to share a file (a set of photos and videos, with captions) with a dozen contacts, using a list which already exists in my outlook 'People', and including a covering email. I dont seem to be able to do this. Is it me, or the programme?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I dont seem to be able to do this.
What exactly seems to be the problem you are experiencing?
You may find that the email is too large and perhaps exceeds a size limit proscribed by your provider.

I would suggest that you place all the files into a single folder and then zip / compress that, however most media files including photos are already using a compressed format and you probably won't get much relief from that.

Why don't you just construct a folder in your one drive online and copy the files into that.
Then use the "Share" icon from the file menu and choose "Get Link"
Then you can just send the cover email and include the link.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.

What exactly seems to be the problem you are experiencing?
You may find that the email is too large and perhaps exceeds a size limit proscribed by your provider.

I would suggest that you place all the files into a single folder and then zip / compress that, however most media files including photos are already using a compressed format and you probably won't get much relief from that.

Why don't you just construct a folder in your one drive online and copy the files into that.
Then use the "Share" icon from the file menu and choose "Get Link"
Then you can just send the cover email and include the link.
Thank you very much for this reply. Being 'of a certain age' and a bit naive, I had no idea what the function of the 'get link' option was - I just saw 'email' and tried that. That's what didn't work. Your solution seems to be what I need.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good luck and keep us posted, perhaps someone else might have a different / better idea.
Most online storage services like One Drive and G Drive (Google Offering) will have a similar feature, where you just access your storage online and anything you want someone else to see, simply share, grant appropriate permission and send the link.

Reaction score
That file was shared successfully, so I'm trying again with a new file. When I start adding the captions, after typing a few words, or sometimes just one - what I've typed just disappears and I have to start again. Why? Obviously, it makes creating the album very time consuming and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.

Ask a Question