Some folders are displaying the 'Shared' icon, but I have done everything I know of to disable file sharing...

Reaction score
Can anyone explain why some Windows folders are displaying 'Shared' when I have disabled file sharing on this PC according to multiple guides found around the internet via search-engine research..?

This is potentially a very serious security risk so I'd appreciate some real advice, especially from people familiar with this problem.

Much appreciated.

Reaction score
I don't have an answer as I need File and Printer Sharing on all my computers to get access to the 2 printers plugged into the Router. Not sure if it makes a difference but I have both Home and Pro versions of Win10 [don't see your version mentioned]. It sometimes makes a difference if in File Explorer's View, Options one has changed some settings to make files more visible, some should never be except for a specific purpose then set back to default.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure why you've chosen not to show the drive that these files are on. It looks like Windows\System32 folder but I can't determine if it's your current active C:\Windows\System32 folder.
Generally speaking there is nothing in that folder that is shared by default, but......
IF these files are on another drive or partition it might be a case where those containers are inheriting permissions from their root directory, in which case you would need to disable inheritance or stop sharing at the parent container.

Reaction score
The folder you can see is maintained where you'd expect: the default system drive.

Reaction score
Bumping this because... these folders probably shouldn't be shared..?

Ask a Question