Shockwave only works in safe mode (Windows 10)

Reaction score
If I try to view the shockwave test page https://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ it crashes IE and Firefox. I want to play http://www.isketch.net/isketch.shtml which requires shockwave but it only works in safe mode. If I boot normally, Isketch will crash awhile loading in IE and Firefox. I've read that it might be a conflict with Realtek sound drivers, so I uninstalled that and rebooted, but the problem remains. I can't seem to find the answer on Google.

Do you guys have any ideas?

Is anyone here using Windows 10 and able to view the 2 links above without crashing???

Reaction score
It seems that this type of apps conflicts with installed apps or features on your Windows 10 computer. When you boot into Safe Mode, only necessary drivers loaded, therefore, no confliction at all.

Reaction score
It seems to be working on everyone else's Windows 10 PC but mine. I've uninstalled my audio drivers as that's said to be the main culprit. I've had this problem for almost a year! Any suggestions?

Reaction score
It seems that this type of apps conflicts with installed apps or features on your Windows 10 computer. When you boot into Safe Mode, only necessary drivers loaded, therefore, no confliction at all.

Agreed. It could be graphics related so try disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox.

Reaction score
At this point, posting your system specs would be helpful and also tell us what version of Windows 10, Firefox, and Flash you are running. For example, I am running Windows 10 v1703 build 15063.322, Firefox 53.03 x64 and my Flash version is 25..0.0.171

Reaction score
Sure,

Windows 10 Pro v1607 build 14393.693
Firefox 53.0.3 (32 bit)
Adobe Flash Player 25 NPAPI 25.0.0.171
Adobe Shockwave Player 12.2 (Full version) 12.2.8.198
660GTX with Nvidia Graphics Driver 382.05
AMD Phenom x4 9650
Mobo Asrock N68-S

Reaction score
OK, thanks for that information. My questions follow:

Any reason why you are still running 14393,693 when the latest build is 14393.1198 for your version?
(You are 4 updates behind)
You really should update to current to ensure there is no conflict with recent flash updates

Why is you flash version labeled NPAPI (Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface)?
Did you use the standard method of updating you add-on flash version in Firefox?
If not, please try that method:

Screenshot_9.png

Reaction score
Hi Wargamer. I thought Win 10 updates automatically, but I'll try manually to get the latest build.

I uninstalled Flash and tried installing again. I get this on the download page,

J3gKpg6.jpg

Reaction score
You went here?:
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
I don't have my laptops available to try and recreate your condition.

In any event, your best bet right now is to update your W10 installation to the latest (current) public release version and see what happens thereafter. Also, the fact that IE is also having a problem supports that recommendation as well.

Just for reference, here is what I see:
Screenshot_17.png

Good luck,

Wargamer

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, I've upgraded Windows 10 to the latest build but have the same problem. Also IE 11 isn't available anymore.

Reaction score
Did you uninstall flash and then update it again?

Also IE is still available under Windows Accessories (at least on my rig running 15063.322):

Reaction score
Yeah, I reinstalled flash. Shockwave works in safemode with the latest Windows 10 build too.

EDIT: I just tried a clean boot and got the same problem. It only works in safemode.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I now fear this may be an issue related to your graphics driver but I can't say for sure.

When you start in safe mode, a generic graphics driver gets loaded.

I would recommend the following:

Uninstall the NVIDIA software and driver
Reboot and let it default to a generic driver
Perform a flash test and verify the results

Reaction score
You also need to uninstall and reinstall your shockwave flash player with the latest version.

Reaction score
It was the Nvidia driver. There was a new Nvidia driver available (as there is every few months). As it uninstalled the previous driver (after the screen goes black for a few seconds), I tried Isketch in Firefox and it worked. After restarting to complete the new driver installation, Isketch crashed Firefox.

Reaction score
OK, well at least you were able to identify the source of the problem.

regards,

Wargamer

Ask a Question