SOLVED Shrunk Display

Reaction score
Hey there,

A couple of weeks ago, all of a sudden, my laptop froze and when it came back to life after a couple of seconds the display was messed up. It basically shrunk. The right and left side of the screen had black boxes and the display was almost a centered square.

I tried to update the driver through the automatic Intel update tool, but seems like it's updated.

The only way I can get it back to normal display is by disabling the display driver in Device Manager, but then whenever I turn off the laptop, obviously it jumps back to the shrunk version.

I'm using a Samsung 940X3G/930X3G laptop.

Display processor: Intel® HD Graphics Family.
Driver Version: 20.19.15.4549.

Any idea?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Right-click in a blank area [no icons] of the screen and choose Display Settings. On the Display panel look at the Resolution setting, choose either the Recommended size [usually the maximum supported setting] or maybe a couple of sizes smaller like 1440x900. All the black area of the screen means no signal is being given which calls for the need to set the resolution.

Reaction score
Nope. Not the case.

The black area isn't accessible. The border of the display is far away from the border of the screen itself.

Photo attached.

Display.jpg

Reaction score
Looks like you should be able to click the Start button, click Settings [the wheel/gear] and locate System then click Display to get to the same settings area.

Reaction score
The windows key + i will get you into the settings. You can investigate from there.

Ask a Question