Slow boot - All the expected fixes didn't work

Reaction score
My dads PC is extremely slow after booting up, sometimes unresponsive. This is fixed by turning off and on again, but becomes slow again after being off or in sleep for an extended period of time. We have tried all the possible fixes and suggestions from google and other forums but nothing has worked.

Reaction score
It's running 1909, recently done the latest update, but the problem has existed for quite a while, possibly a year.

Reaction score
Hi Josh,

what do you have running at startup?, open Task Manager > Start-up and check then disable any you really don't need!. :)

1585911923059.png

Reaction score
Very likely in there.Do you, for example, have an antivirus program running redident?
Fwiw, Windows 10, even with some of its weaknesses, does a remarkable job of handling computer hardware. Long ago I disabled everything in the startup tab. To date, I have mot noticed any problrms

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I'd run Ccleaner....it's a junk file remover and browser cleaner. It does a great job. Then run Superantispyware....it finds and removes trackers. Both are highly recommended and have long standing track records.

Ccleaner

SuperAntiSpyware

Reaction score
Very likely in there.Do you, for example, have an antivirus program running redident?
Fwiw, Windows 10, even with some of its weaknesses, does a remarkable job of hsndling omputer hardware. Long ago I disabled everything in the startup tab. To date, I have mot noticed any problrms
I'll give that a try. Thanks

Reaction score
My suggestion is to dl ASC= advanced system care (FREE) version, which allows you to choose the scans it will run, and one of them is system optimize, which takes care of boot time. On first scan allow all to scan. I've been using this free software for years and it's been great! also I use W10 Defender which has been impressive. then uninstall all the others, you no longer need them, and they are only helping to slow things down.

Reaction score
Just a suggestion. I had a similar problem a while ago. albeit it seems to have 'gone away'. The problem came from using BBC iPlayer Download. Even after closing there was still quite heavy CPU usage detected on Task Manager. Clicking on each item and then End Task resolved the issue but I had to do this almost daily. Then as mysteriously as it started it stopped!

Reaction score
Do not run Ccleaner. I used it for many years. It is no longer to be trusted. Google Ccleaner and you will see why.

Reaction score
My dads PC is extremely slow after booting up, sometimes unresponsive. This is fixed by turning off and on again, but becomes slow again after being off or in sleep for an extended period of time.

I experienced these exact same symptoms when I first installed 1903. I disabled Fast Startup and now my PC boots up normally.

I'd run Ccleaner.
I wouldn't. It's now owned by Avast.

Reaction score
Doesn't make sense does it? But.. Does anything with software these days??

Reaction score
Fast Startup is hardware dependent and enabled by default. Doesn't work with all hardware so if you experience problems booting up (as I was) it's recommended to disable it.

Reaction score

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
CCleaner used to be a nice utility till it was sold to Avast.

Other ways to do what CCleaner does:

Wow.....so what do you have for a replacement?

Reaction score
I gave up when Ccleaner was bought out. I no longer use an automatic cleaner, but, on reccomendation, I tried Bleachbit, which can do a fine job. I has no registry cleaner - not on my old version, anyway, but they are pretty dangerous beasts to use

Reaction score
Slow boot can be fixed with some work. open msconfig, move over to services, click hide all Microsoft services, then click "disable all"
click OK then reboot. Slow Boot is fixed - now you can add back slowly to find the "BAD BOY"

Reaction score
I have replaced the OS disk in all my PC:s, using SSD in them now. The speed difference is incredible compared to the old disks. A 240Gb SSD disk is not that expensive any more, and there are freeware programs to use to clone your old disk to the new SSD.

Ask a Question