SOLVED Slow Load of Outlook Mail

Reaction score
When I bring outlook mail up in my browser it takes 5 or 6 minutes to come up. Every other site comes up fine with no problems. Is this a Windows 10 Explorer problem or an Outlook Mail problem? I have a business web site that has a mail server feature and I am about ready to "bail" on outlook mail. And add to that, seriously considering going back to W 8.1 as W 10 has been one problem after the other. Would probably buy a Mac if I could afford it but at 80 on fixed income I am stuck.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
my browser
Which browser? Have you tried Internet Explorer (Start button, all apps, windows accessories, internet explorer)?
Is this a Windows 10 Explorer problem
Nope. When I go to outlook.com in my browser it opens fine
I have a business web site that has a mail server feature
That may be the issue, if you are not accessing outlook.com but instead are going to a third party server hosting your mail then perhaps you might try asking them why their webmail is taking so long to render in your browser.

Reaction score
Using Explorer. Not third party. Problem happens every time I turn the PC off and then back on later. It is almost like some sort of start up string it goes through. I have a full blown Norton system and they find no worms, Trojans, etc. Anyone have any ideas? Went to the task manager while it was coming up and there are no apps running that would slow it down. Most resources eaten up by the task manager.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So..... are you going to
outlook.com
OR
yourmailserver.com
When I bring outlook mail up in my browser it takes 5 or 6 minutes to come up Every other site comes up fine with no problems. Problem happens every time I turn the PC off and then back on later.
Sounds like it could be a DNS cache issue, although 5 or 6 minutes would be an incredibly long time for a DNS host to resolve.
You might try flushing your DNS cache just to see if you have a corrupt record in the name table.
ipconfig /flushdns

Reaction score
I am an 80 year old non-techie when it comes to windows. Where do I enter the "ipconfig/flushdns" ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Close your browser window.
Right click the Start Button (windows logo, bottom left of screen in the taskbar) choose command prompt (admin) and in the command prompt window type
ipconfig /flushdns
hit enter
That should do it.
Now opening up a browser and revisiting sites will begin to replenish the local DNS Client cache.
Do me a favor
Right click the Start button again and from the context menu choose run and in the run dialog box type
services.msc
hit enter or click OK
In the service management console scroll down as needed and have a look at DNS Client
Confirm that it is "Running" and that the startup type is "Automatic (Trigger Start)"

Reaction score
Thanks. Checked everything. Looks okay. Also discovered that I may not be running internet explorer, I read up a little on browsers/internet and find that when I go to my browser the screen comes up blue with the big "E" on it. That is Edge, correct? Also find that the time lapse issue is with the browser and not Outlook Mail.

Reaction score
Thanks, thanks, thanks ! ! ! Turned off PC, turned it back on. Edge came up in about 5 seconds. Whatever it was is gone.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you managed to resolve your problem.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question