SOLVED Small "Just a moment" screen after crash

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I accidentally dropped my laptop today from a height of about 1 meter. The lid was closed, but the pc was on. I wasn't able to identify any external damage and it seemed to be working normally at first. Some hours later, it crashed and the screen went black. I restarted it by pressing its power button. Up to the login screen, everything seemed normal, but when I logged in, a smaller than usual "Just a moment" screen appeared (see the picture below - it's in Portuguese because I'm from Brazil). After some time (a bit longer than usual), the desktop screen appeared and everything seemed to be working fine. But this keeps happening every time I boot the pc. This small "Just a moment" screen never appeared before today. Does anyone know why it appears? Should I be worried?

img.jpg

Thank you for any assistance.

Reaction score
Hi Bruno,

sounds like it took a hard knock which could lead to various problems like the hard drive coming loose or other electrical damage. I would keep an eye on the device and make sure it isn't running hot which would be a very bad sign!. I don't really know what else to say apart from opening the laptop back cover and take a look to see if you can see any signs of damage!. :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's only logical that you have linked the two events as cause and effect and that perhaps you're on the right track, but...
I would think that if the processed repaired any potential data corruption sufficiently to allow the computer to continue to boot, load Windows 10 and allow you to use your device normally, that it wouldn't continue happening.

I'd probably go ahead and use the native Check Disk utility to search for and recover any bad sectors ( chkdsk c: /f /r /x )

Additionally I would check and make sure it isn't something like a cumulative update that is attempting to install and failing and you are seeing a brief moment of the end of that process.

Manually check for Windows 10 Updates and confirm that you have them all
AND
Double check your "Update History" to confirm that there is not a reoccurring failed update.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble,

You were right. I think the problem was not really related to the fall. I used the Check Disk tool and it found no problems.

Then I installed this pending update [feature update, version 1909 (2)] and now the initialization screens are how they used to be. Anyway, I will keep an eye on any other unusual behavior that may be related to the fall.

Thanks for the help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Time will tell.
Thanks for following up and getting back to us with that info.

Ask a Question