Why some tiles became half shown in windows 10 after I changed to small size

Attachments

• half icon size.pdf
    162.1 KB · Views: 877

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Warren and welcome to the forum.
What happens when you right click them and choose resize -> small and then switch them back to medium?
Have you got all your Windows Updates installed?

Reaction score
Yes, I had the latest update applied. Also, it changed back to normal medium size when I switched back, then I switched back to small, then become half tile again.

Reaction score
Same here. Small tiles looked normal the very first time I changed them.
Before:
Untitled.png
After:
aasdasf.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried relocating those "small tiles" to the left.
It seems they don't like the "right" alignment.
There is also some speculation that this issue may have been caused by a rollup update from yesterday or the day before.
Maybe a reboot is required.
Check Windows Updates?

Reaction score
Things I've tried so far:

Update - I'm up-to-date with all updates it says, although I clicked on advanced options in Windows update and looked at my history and it shows nothing. Check for new updates and states that I'm up-to-date.

Relocating / Resizing - Medium tiles are fine, only small tiles are showing half. No matter if allocated to the left, middle or far right or even in a new category.

I've restarted multiple times.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
although I clicked on advanced options in Windows update and looked at my history and it shows nothing.
That is strange.
Even on a reasonably recent install of Windows 10, I would expect to see an update history, reflecting at least three of these most recent Windows Updates, especially the one from just a day or two ago.
UpDateHistory.PNG

I just now completed an In-Place Upgrade / Repair install of Windows 10 (where you run setup.exe from the install media from within the existing OS and choose to keep everything and upgrade) and installed Windows 10 over top of itself to fix a minor issue that I was having and when it completed there were still two updates to install.
KB3074678 and KB3074686

Reaction score
So I restarted again, opened Windows Update and searched for updates and new updates popped up finally. Updated, restarted, and now the small tiles are fixed.

0uO1bJ9.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just glad to have been involved.
Like you and the rest of us crash test dummies, I'm struggling too. Did my wife's windows 7 machine yesterday and had the famous shut down issue as well as a missing DVD, which was pretty strange.
One showed up and the other didn't (she has two, their identical and I bought and installed them only a few months back). Both were / are seen by the BIOS, but only one, in device manager and Disk Management.
I thought is was an intel chipset driver for her ASRock board, but no..... nothing that simple.

Turns out there is a registry hack for that, which I managed to find after deciding that I was not going to just let it go.

Resolution 5, bottom of this article
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/314060
Worked like a charm.
Feel free to pass it along.

Ask a Question