Some "Life at a glance” tiles dead and their apps cannot be launched

Reaction score
Some — not all — of the “Life at a glance” tiles have stopped working and their apps cannot be launched either from the tiles or from the app within Microsoft Windows Store. I have tried sfc /scannow and it says everything is okay and so does dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

Some of these I find to be highly useful, for instance, the weather channel — I usually have tiles reporting conditions in five different places of interest to me. Now those tiles are blank and double-clicking on them accomplishes nothing. It seems as if the app tries to stop and then is killed.

Nothing is wrong with the “Life at a glance” tiles on my laptop however — and I have access to the same Microsoft Windows Store/MS user account on both machines.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here and how I can troubleshoot and/or fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Click the start button and then the settings cog then the Apps icon.
Scroll down to the Weather app and click it once to expose the "Advanced options" link and click that
Scroll down and you should have three options buttons "Terminate" click that just to make sure it's stopped, which....
Leaves you with two.
I'd go with the "Reset" button first and see if that helped anything
IF not then I'd go with the "Uninstall" button and then grab a new copy from the Store.

Reaction score
I use the Weather app everyday, It has been problematic for some time. I use the Weather Network url when the app stops working. The app also corrects itself without my intervention. uninstall/re-install from the store doesn't always solve the problems, Bing has to resole the weather app issues.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply — unfortunately, this approach didn't solve the problem. I tried a reset on the app with no results, and then I tried a terminate, likewise with no result. I then tried uninstall and got an error message telling me that the app could not be uninstalled and citing error code 0x080073cfa.

I checked that error code and found a suggestion to use wsreset which I did. As far as I could tell the wsreset worked but I still cannot get a working copy of the weather channel app.

Reaction score
I finally managed to get rid of the weather app completely and “get” it again from the store — same thing — it won't actually start.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It might be an issue with your profile....
Try this if you have time and see if the Weather app works with a new user.
Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe (if you are hiding extensions of known types it might simply say Cmd)
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

NOTE: Obviously it doesn't have to be "JohnSmith". Any Tom, Dick or Sally should work fine (dealers choice).

Ask a Question