Something happened 0x80070002 - 0x20016

Reaction score
I'm SURE this has been hammered to death somewhere in here, but my searches aren't finding the 20016 error...........

<flame on>

As a user of Windows since 3.1 and DOS before that, I'm used to new versions having problems with installs, running like crap, crashing regularly, and all the other problems we've come to expect from Microsoft. But cynical as I am, apparently I can still be surprised... I don't know if this whole thing is some kind of test, a massive joke at our expense, or just a total lack of MS making ANY effort to ensure their @#$%^&* software will even TRY TO RUN...

Downloaded the MediaCreationToolx64 and figured "I just want to burn a DVD with an ISO. This SHOULD BE TRIVIAL." I'm running on a system with 8.1, so there should be any problem. Fire it up, let it download, burn the DVD... AH, but that's where the gods at MS played their galactic practical joke.....

Ran the MediaCreationTool. It sat there like floop in a punchbowl for a few seconds then said:

Something happened 0x80070002 - 0x20016

Having received this VERY understandable message - I mean what could POSSIBLY confusing about "something happened", I jumped onto the Internet to get the fix.....

THREE HOURS, at least a DOZEN reboots, and having tried things from the maybe likely, to the not likely, to the silly, to the utterly ridiculous, I'm still receiving "Something happened 0x80070002 - 0x20016" on ALL THREE MACHINES I've tried it on... Won't work on the 8.1 desktop, won't work on the Win 7/SP1 desktop, won't work on the Win 7/SP1 laptop...

I did a search in here and found an astonishing number of installation problems for something that's been out less than two weeks, but didn't see a topic for this.

SO, what IS the magical incantation to get this utter POS to let me download the ISO?

And while I'm asking, HOW do I download the update without having to go through that stupid "mother may I" process where they'll "let me know" when they've decided I should be allowed to update?

The folks at Apple must be catatonic from the laughter. 20+ years of Windows and they still can't even get the DOWNLOADER to work reliably?

I've tried "run as administrator" which didn't work
"Change Local and Language Settings to English" which didn't work
"Disable or Uninstall Antivirus Program or Internet Security Suite" which didn't work
"Make sure all these services are turned on automatic" WHICH DIDN'T WORK
"run wuauclt.exe /updatenow" which didn't work
"stuck a new keyword in the registry" which DIDN'T WORK
ran some MS piece of software that was going to FIX my system so the download would work - which didn't WORK

and on and on through things I can't even remember at this point...

SO, as opposed to this random rummaging and hoping SOMETHING will get this to work, WHAT do I have to do to get this software to let me download? Although, at this point I ALREADY hate Windows 10, so it will HAVE to be absolutely incredible after this ridiculous start...

<flame off>

So, I've got 3 computers that won't even TRY to download. Grabbed my wife's laptop - the last PC in the house. This time at LEAST it got to the point of saying "Create installation media for another PC".......

Then it churns for a long time, downloading. Gets to 100% then says something like "creating media". I saw it get to at least 22%, then it PUKES ALL OVER IT'S FEET... This time it's an error "Something happened 0x80070070 - 0xc19001DF"...

And FINALLY, I decided "screw it" I'll put it on a USB if nothing else will work. Took an 8GB flash drive and plugged it into a USB port. Formatted it as FAT32. The media creation software WON'T EVEN RECOGNIZE THE DRIVE.

OK, maybe should format as NTFS, so I REFORMATTED IT... Same exact message...

At this point I'm ZERO for 4 computers, can't even create an ISO, can't put it on a flash drive... This HAS to be some kind of joke from Microsoft, 'cause not even THEY could have this work this badly by accident.

Reaction score
You, me, and thousands of others...........

I didn't get anything usable here (obviously), but I asked in a different forum, and received a url that enabled me to just DOWNLOAD the ISO. No MCT, no stupidity, just DOWNLOAD the file. Put it on a DVD, and so far I've upgraded 3 of my 4 systems... No problem, no playing mother-may-I, no making "sure the updates are current". None of that idiocy.

Unfortunately, when I went back to the address today to make sure it was right, I now get a 403 - Forbidden, so apparently Microsoft is still playing games to make it ridiculously difficult to put on the "free" upgrade... It WAS at a subfolder of http://software-download.microsoft.com, so I presume there's somebody out there that knows where you can just get the #$%^&* software WITHOUT all the games and BS, but I have no idea...

Reaction score
Yeah - spent quite a lot of time on this.. I'm trying to upgrade a 64bit 8.1 system.. never did get the icon to 'reserve' the free upgrade so got the download tool and keep getting the error when I run that.. I ran the tool on a W7 system and was able to create the ISO DVD... put that in the 8.1 machine and get prompted for the activation key - which of course I don't have cos its supposed to be an upgrade...

So how did you 'upgrade'?

This see is quite useful.. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...duct-key/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7

L8rs

Reaction score
I did the upgrade using the DVD while the 8.1 system was running. Same thing for the Windows 7 systems. Just hit the setup.exe on the DVD and it did the upgrades without asking for a key on ANY of the machines.

If it DOES ask for a key, I BELIEVE there are some kind of generic keys available. I recall seeing them posted somewhere, but since I didn't get asked for a key I'm not sure what they were.

Ask a Question