"Something Happened"

Reaction score
Upgrading from Windows 8.1 home. Reserved when the Get Windows 10 icon showed up a few weeks ago. First the gwx.exe app disappeared from my computer. So I downloaded the installation tool from Microsoft. The download runs, then as soon as it goes to "verifying download," I get "Something happened." Seriously? That's the error message? No details, just "Something happened."

Log file seems to imply a language setting problem, but after googling, the issue seems to be related to not having en-us set, which I do.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but......
Keep trying. Try it again and again.
Persevere

Reaction score
Just use the Media Creation Tool to download the file in an ISO format file and then burn it to either a DVD disc or a USB Flash drive.
Run the setup file in your existing windows and you'll be doing the "Upgrade" route of install.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So I downloaded the installation tool from Microsoft. The download runs, then as soon as it goes to "verifying download," I get "Something happened." Seriously?
I'm thinking that is what he meant when he referred to the "installation tool"..... I could be wrong.

Reaction score
I'm thinking that is what he meant when he referred to the "installation tool"..... I could be wrong.
Yup. Tried both doing it as a direct install and creating an ISO. Same error when it's verfying the download.
I'll keep trying...

Reaction score
Next step is to try to create the install disc on another machine. I should have thought of that a lot earlier...

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a dirty download process going on.
Trying it on another machine would be a good idea.

Reaction score
I had previously tried using wuauclt.exe /updatenow to try to force Windows Update to download it, but that gave me nothing... So, I tried the Windows Update Diagnostic & Repair tool and apparently there was a problem with Windows Update. Then ran wuauclt.exe again and now it's downloading. I'm not overly confident, but I am hopeful.

Reaction score
Have the same problem "Something Happened" using my gaming Win7 Ultimate rig for the downloads ( ISO or USB) on Fios (everything up todate). Tried the downloads on my win 8 laptop and it completed fully with verification ......weird .
Guess there is something on my gaming rig Win10 verify does not like atm .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have you both tried downloading the Media Creation Tool and using it instead?
Or did I just miss something?

You will find the Creation Tools on this Link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Yes the Media Creation Tool was used in my instance , each and every time ; and there is no downloading 10 in USB/ISO file format without it (from my understanding) . Infact you wont get that "Something Happened" message without using the MCT software , or correct me if Iam wrong .

Reaction score
I tried downloading the ISO with the media creation tool with a user that did not have administrative privileges (it asked me for my administrative password when I ran the MCT), I entered the password, and received the blue "Something Happened" screen (and nothing happened).
When I logged in as a user with administrative privileges, the ISO download proceeded without a problem. Do not know why.

Ask a Question