SSD compatible with my Dell Vostro 3470 Desktop PC

Reaction score
I want to have an SSD installed on my Dell Vostro 3470 Desktop PC to improve performance. I checked the Service Manual of this product and also enquired with Dell Tech Support in India, and they have said that this PC won't support an NVMe drive and I need to buy an SSD which is M.2 SATA 2280 based. On checking on online resellers of reliable brands like Western Digital or Samsung (on Amazon or Flipkart), I find some SSDs with M.2 SATA 2280 search filter are still listing some NVMe SSDs, and some others with two notches, some with one notch (that too some with a small notch to left, some to the right). Mighty confusing, and to add to it, these SSDs are all sold on a non-returnable basis. So, would be much help if someone could clarify on what type of SSD would be fully compatible with my PC, preferably with brand-models or links to the compatible ones. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Sharing a pic of the motherboard where the M.2 slot is seen clearly. Hope this helps good samaritans help me sort this out :)

Attachments

• Dell PC SSD Slot-Pic3a.jpg
    Dell PC SSD Slot-Pic3a.jpg
    815.5 KB · Views: 95
Reaction score
I want to have an SSD installed on my Dell Vostro 3470 Desktop PC to improve performance. I checked the Service Manual of this product and also enquired with Dell Tech Support in India, and they have said that this PC won't support an NVMe drive and I need to buy an SSD which is M.2 SATA 2280 based. On checking on online resellers of reliable brands like Western Digital or Samsung (on Amazon or Flipkart), I find some SSDs with M.2 SATA 2280 search filter are still listing some NVMe SSDs, and some others with two notches, some with one notch (that too some with a small notch to left, some to the right). Mighty confusing, and to add to it, these SSDs are all sold on a non-returnable basis. So, would be much help if someone could clarify on what type of SSD would be fully compatible with my PC, preferably with brand-models or links to the compatible ones. Thanks in advance.
rameshiyer~

Check out/visit the following Link >>> Crucial

Let it run a scan or download what you have to to be able to run the scan ... this site I, personally, have used to see what IS compatible for upgrades for Drives and Memory on computers both mine and for friends of mine for many years .. and it has been quite reliable in its advice ... I have NOT had ANY problems using this site when wanting to upgrade Drives or RAM (memory) on computers...

They have a 100% Compatibility guarantee as well which I have NEVER had to use in all the years (20 ish) I have used their services.

Good luck~
LoneWolf
NOTE: I make NO extra money for links I provide to products or services.

Reaction score
lonewolfmage - Thanks for your response. I did run this scan (online as well as thru app downloaded to PC). It only recommends SSDs of 2.5" which means I will have to remove my 1Tb HDD to use an SSD of 2.5". I want to retain my 1 Tb HDD for my own data and use and SSD to install Windows and programs to boost performance of my PC. So, I guess the M.2 SATA 2280 SSD is my best option. But, only NVMe SSDs come with M key edge connectors (as on my M.2 slot on motherboard, pic shared earlier). But my motherboard doesn't support NVMe SSD as per Dell Tech Support. Hence, I sought guidance on this forum. Haven't come across any M.2 SATA 2280 SSD which comes with M key edge connector (without B key edge connector) online. Hope someone is able to guide me about this.

Reaction score
@john steadman - Thank you for your input. But, as I had mentioned in response to @lonewolfmage I will need to buy a NVMe to SATA adapter to be able to use an NVMe SSD which will be 5-6 times faster than a SATA SSD. I am still looking for such an adapter from a reliable brand in my region (India), if available online. I am unable to find a M.2 2280 SATA SSD with only M key edge connector (i.e. without B key connector). Only M.2 NVMe SSDs are shown online with M key connector. My PCIe x16 connector is unoccupied so I can install a good NVMe to SATA adapter, which seems my only option, if I want to install an M.2 SSD AND retain my 1Tb HDD.

Reaction score
I have a similar motherboard in my Acer desktop. The motherboard connector is dual-notch SATA, so it is limited to B+M Key SATA. You can use B+M Key or B Key for SATA. If the SSD says SATA M.2 & has 1 or 2 notches, it will work for you.
M2 Keys.jpg
what-are-m2-drives.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a similar motherboard in my Acer desktop. The motherboard connector is dual-notch SATA, so it is limited to B+M Key SATA. You can use B+M Key or B Key for SATA. If the SSD says SATA M.2 & has 1 or 2 notches, it will work for you.View attachment 14325View attachment 14326

@Comp Cmndo - Thanks for responding. But, my motherboard has an M.2 SATA 2280 port with just the M key connector, no B key connector as you can see from the image I had posted in the original post. Strangely, only M.2 NVMe SSDs listed on e-com sites have M key connector, but my motherboard doesn't support NVMe SSDs as per Dell TS and the Service Manual of the PC. Hence, seems my only option is to buy an NVMe to PCIe adapter of a good brand and an NVMe SSD which plugs into the M.2 port in the adapter. The adapter should be PCIe x4 port compatible to be usable on my PC. This if I want to retain the 1Tb HDD. Else as a last option will have to replace the HDD with a 2.5" SATA SSD.

Reaction score
Hello there, It's possible to install a third SATA drive?. There is a third SATA connector nut i can't find a second SATA power connector. My Vostro 3470 have a M2 drive and a 3.5 hdd. I want to change the 3.5 to a ssd drive / 2.5 with a dual bracket.

Best Regards

Reaction score
Frequently a Y-cable/splitter for power can be used if the 2 connected drives don't require much power. Most 2.5" SATA drives as used in Notebooks will require between 750ma to 1000ma [up to 1Amp].

Ask a Question