Trying to make a bootable USB to format a SSD

Reaction score
I bought a PC, has a password set, and is an older version. I'm trying to update Windows 10, but can't get the USB to to either work or format it correctly. I download media tool, after download the file is in the F:\ drive So i click on it then select the option #2 to make an ISO and USB. So after it opens and gets ready to open it stops and says the Hard drive C: is to small in space. I don't understand what's going on or why it's doing this. Can someone please help me

Reaction score
you said it yourself already:

says the Hard drive C: is to small in space
How big is your hard drive and how much do you have left on your C: drive ??
To create a bootable usb drive with the MCT, you have to have at least 30-40GB left for Windows to be able to create the temporary files.
Please check that first and report back.

Reaction score
you said it yourself already:

How big is your hard drive and how much do you have left on your C: drive ??
To create a bootable usb drive with the MCT, you have to have at least 30-40GB left for Windows to be able to create the temporary files.
Please check that first and report back.
Even if I am wanting to save everything to a USB? then put it on another HD?

Reaction score
this is what shows, is this normal? when installing to usb drive, I just dl then open media tool inside of my usb drive correct?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-17 210529.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-17 210529.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 39
Reaction score
Get the download of the Media Creation Tool [it's small], run it which will open pages to make choices. One is for the .iso file to create the bootable DVD-R or DVD+R [not RW]. The other choice is for a bootable USB, have it plugged in and should be at least 4GB but 8GB is better, let the process work.

As for the internal drive, I have 2 small Notebooks that came with 32GB drives and are now happily running Linux Mint only because the drives aren't sufficient enough in size to keep up with the updates and wouldn't work with USB drives for the extra space needed.

Reaction score
Thx, everyone. It was my C: drive being to fool. had to clear space. but now I'm having a problem I created cause I'm click happy. I was formatting after a I put windows on the USB drive. so I started in UEFI mode, was at format screen; showing drives. I HIT SOMETHING and it messed shit up, ended up in CMD.EXE, and made it worse, lol. I didn't finish setting up the Drive properly from CMD.EXE, after that it didn't boot the same, it just cycles into a black screen. Tried reformatting USB, to go back in and reformat drive C: which I cleared from CMD.EXE, but I didn't get the partitioning right or something, cause I was never able to actually run windows onto it format the SSD. I do not know how to fix this, I am not that computer smart when it comes to all the.

Reaction score
I did neglect to say that the MCT process has the choice to create the bootable media for use on a different computer, try that with the USB Thumb drive choice.

Reaction score
I usually use MCT to download the ISO and use the free software rufus to create a bootable USB.
In general not a bad idea, however, Rufus can only do either MBR or GPT. The MCT can do both at the same time as it creates a USB drive that can run in a MBR environment as well as a UEFI environment (the drive is formatted as FAT32 though).

Ask a Question