SSD slow

Reaction score
You Guys missed a very important Setting with SSD drives. Turn off Prefetch and the Superfetch service. Never defrag a SSD and if you are using a internal HDD with the SSD then your still running at the slower speed. Good luck. I put in a 500GB SSD and a second 1000GB SSD internal drive and my system doubled or tripled its speed. Also remember that not all older Motherboards can get the increased speed because limitations in the BUS.
Turning off either of these make little difference with modern SSD not enough difference to justify the effort.

Reaction score
@Clintlgm

Gosh this threads difficult to follow, I can't tell who's talking to who? If you were questioning the accuracy of my motherboard specs see for yourself here: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/specifications/ See under 'Storage'

I don't remember questioning your MB it either supports SATA 111 or not and it either supports NVME or not.
Samsung SSD works ok on SATA 11 faster than Spinners but nowhere near as fast a SATA 111 and again SATA 111 is nowhere near as fast as NVME.
My comment was for the OP and the Thread in general.
Very few issues come up with Samsung or Intel SSD the other brands all seem to work well for most people but some people do have an issue and defective SSD

As to your motherboard spec's you seem to have 6 SATA ports that support SATA 111 and 2 M.2 slots that support SATA M.2 SSD

I agree with you this thread is very confusing I'm out of it.

Reaction score
What is SATA 11 and SATA 111? I've never heard of that. Unless you are talking about SATA II and SATA III. Maybe I need to learn something new here.

Reaction score
What is SATA 11 and SATA 111? I've never heard of that. Unless you are talking about SATA II and SATA III. Maybe I need to learn something new here.

ram1220, here is an explanation of SATA I, II and III.

Difference between SATA I, SATA II and SATA III

SATA I (revision 1.x) interface, formally known as SATA 1.5Gb/s, is the first generation SATA interface running at 1.5 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 150MB/s.

SATA II (revision 2.x) interface, formally known as SATA 3Gb/s, is a second generation SATA interface running at 3.0 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 300MB/s.

SATA III (revision 3.x) interface, formally known as SATA 6Gb/s, is a third generation SATA interface running at 6.0Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 600MB/s. This interface is backwards compatible with SATA 3 Gb/s interface.

SATA II specifications provide backward compatibility to function on SATA I ports. SATA III specifications provide backward compatibility to function on SATA I and SATA II ports. However, the maximum speed of the drive will be slower due to the lower speed limitations of the port.

Example, SSD HDD's, which supports SATA 6Gb/s interface and when connected to SATA 6Gb/s port, can reach up to 550/520MB/s sequential read and sequential write speed rates respectively. However, when the drive is connected to SATA 3 Gb/s port, it can reach up to 285/275MB/s sequential read and sequential write speed rates respectively.

Another example is, I've got a Samsung 850 EVO SSD drive which is at 6Gb/s (its my boot drive) and is a SATA III and a WD WDC5000BEVT drive which is a 3Gb/s (its my slave drive) and is a SATA II, this is installed in a 8 year old laptop with its last BIOS update of 2013 that handles the Samsung SSD 6Gb/s perfectly and can reach up to 285/275MB/s sequential read and sequential write speed rates respectively. My old laptop works perfectly and extremely well with the Samsung SSD and has made it exceptionally quick and its virtually a brand new laptop.

Last edited:

Ask a Question