SSD slow

Reaction score
Thinking SSD drives would improve my desktops performance I installed 2 of them. One as my Boot Drive and another one for my data drive. My problem is response seems slower than I expected. When I open File Explorer and select a folder to view sometimes a green bar appears on the address line starting from the left expanding to the right like it's scanning something. The number of files in the folder can be only 5 but it still does it. And it's worse if I try to delete a couple of files. A Window appears that is estimating the number of files to delete. I'm only deleting 2 files! Anybody know way this is happening?

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

have you disabled defragmentation in W10?, don't use it as it will cause problems, if it has started to defrag your system!!!. Click on "Change settings" and take out both ticks in the window (mine is active as this is my normal HDD PC!):

upload_2018-5-11_6-18-21.png

upload_2018-5-11_6-17-50.png

I hope it helps!.:)

Reaction score
Windows 10 will not defrag Ssds. It will, rarely needed "trim" them.

It could be a third party anti virus program which is a little too consciences?

I had the problem from time to time and, in my case, I found disabling the search and emptying the search index did the trick.

Reaction score
Wolfie: Defrag was already disabled
Davehc: Where do I find what you mentioned about search index?

Reaction score
Type control panel in the search box and click the option. Then click "Indexing options."

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thinking SSD drives would improve my desktops performance I installed 2 of them. One as my Boot Drive and another one for my data drive. My problem is response seems slower than I expected.
I've replaced multiple mechanical spinners with SSDs and have found performance increases in every instance. Some more noticeable than others.

Something you might consider.
Most top tier SSD manufacturers provide Software Programs that will help you configure the drive appropriately for its' particular usage.
You can see if your manufacturer provides any such software or at least some suggestions as to how you might manually configure Windows 10 for best performance with your specific drive.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Questions: After you installed your 2 SSD's, how did you get your OS on to the C drive? Did you clone the drive or do a clean install?

Reaction score
I disabled Indexing on my Data Drive. That seems to have helped. Thanks 'davehc'

I didn't use the install software for the Samsung 500GB SSD. The Micron 2TB SSD didn't come with any. Thanks 'Trouble'

I did a clean install of my OS on the Samsung drive. The Micron became my new Data Drive. Thanks 'bassfisher6522'

Overall my desktop boots up a lot faster. Programs load a lot faster. Very noticeable. I work a lot in Vegas Pro and Photoshop. Then I realized I needed to get my photos and videos on an SSD, hence the Micron SSD. Everything is much faster. Adobe Bridge manages the photos and videos. Every time I switched from 1 folder to another it took Bridge a while to come up with new thumbnail views. Now it comes up in 2 or 3 seconds. We're talking folders with over 3,000 photos. I love it.

It was just the green bar crawling across the top of File Manager that is irritating. With only a couple files in the folder I wonder what the heck it's doing. Selecting a file to delete causes a window to pop up stating it's discovering files and there's a big green bar running through that too. After a number of seconds the file finally deletes. Irritating.

Thanks to everyone so far.

Reaction score
I get the same issue when opening Windows Explorer. The green bar up top and it seems to take longer to show files in each folder. I tracked my problem down to the paid version of Malwarebytes. This issue started the same day I paid for it and started to use it as always on protection. Turning MB off and using it as an on demand scanner again has solved the issue. By any chance do you have the paid version of Malwarebytes?

Reaction score
Thinking SSD drives would improve my desktops performance I installed 2 of them. One as my Boot Drive and another one for my data drive. My problem is response seems slower than I expected. When I open File Explorer and select a folder to view sometimes a green bar appears on the address line starting from the left expanding to the right like it's scanning something. The number of files in the folder can be only 5 but it still does it. And it's worse if I try to delete a couple of files. A Window appears that is estimating the number of files to delete. I'm only deleting 2 files! Anybody know way this is happening?
The behavior you are describing is typical of Windows Defender. This is the most aggravating thing about Windows Defender: it scans folders very slowly when you open then, so if you have a folder -- such as Downloads -- with a lot of executables in it, the scanning causes a delay.
If this is an issue for you, switch to a 3rd party AV.

Reaction score
If I might add my own experience with SSD's, I bought a Samsung SSD 850 EVO about a year ago expecting to get increased performance and it didn't happen in my case either! The speed increase was barely noticeable in fact and a bitter disappointment having splashed out on an SSD.

The issue in my case was simply that my motherboard only supported SATA2 whereas the Samsung was designed for SATA 3. I even stupidly bought a SATA 3 PCI card in the hope of solving the problem on the cheap and it made no noticeable difference. In the end I built a new Ryzen 5 PC which does support SATA 3 and the speed increase was tremendous. With the old setup my startup time was around 50 seconds from first boot whereas now I arrive at the desktop in around 15 seconds :)

Reaction score
You Guys missed a very important Setting with SSD drives. Turn off Prefetch and the Superfetch service. Never defrag a SSD and if you are using a internal HDD with the SSD then your still running at the slower speed. Good luck. I put in a 500GB SSD and a second 1000GB SSD internal drive and my system doubled or tripled its speed. Also remember that not all older Motherboards can get the increased speed because limitations in the BUS.

Reaction score
Samsung Magician will configure your Samsung Drive. 2 SSD's will not increase speed sine Windows only supports advanced features for one. Not all your SATA ports are 6Gbps, probably only one.

Reaction score
I have a HD & a Samsung SSD. Last year after installing the SSD, I had concerns the speed of the thing was going to blow the screen right off the computer. I have had zero problems and if does catch on fire, I'll simply put another SSD in.
What is the best SSD to put in a system according to you folks? I see HP has an SSD and there is the newer (I think it is newer) Samsung V-nand SSD 860 EVO sata 6. Which is the better of the two?

Reaction score

Firstly, what does your system components consist of e.g. mobo, cpu, graphics, ram etc Secondly, I'm also running a Samsung SSD 850 EVO SATA III 2.5 inch 1TB, its settings are:

Interface: SATA 6.0 Gb/s
AHCI Mode: Activated
TRIM Status: Activated
RAPID Mode: On
10% (100GB) Over provisioning

I've never ever had your problems and my system runs like clockwork and at lightning fast speeds for boot, read and write, that is even though I'm running the standard 7 year old 500GB WDC WD5000BEVT IDE/SATA HDD that came with this laptop as a slave drive. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5750-2414 (circa 2011) and I used the DVD slot with a SATA adaptor for my WD 500GB slave drive, it also uses the Intel HD Graphics 3000. I've of course upgraded the CPU to a Core i7-2720QM (from the standard Core i5-2410M) and the standard Ram of 4GB to 8GB at PC3-10700 (667MHz) this is nothing exceptional and/or the latest in components but and as I've said, it works exceptionally and its super fast since I've installed the Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB.

Your problem seems like a 'delayed drive read' of your slave, which usually is a cause of too many complex images or data which your system can't cope with hence, the sign of the behaviour of the green bar appearing on the address bar. See this article as its some sort of a solution to what your problem might be: http://www.rawinfopages.com/tips/2014/04/stop-the-annoying-green-bar-in-explorer-windows/ but, remember, an SSD drive does not solve all your problems if the rest of your system components are not suitable to the tasks that you are doing, you cant make a push bike into an F1, which in your case using Vegas Pro and Photoshop might require quite allot of ram and cpu speed and power and your system might not be adequate enough. Your problem might also be that your data drive could be too full of complex images and data. How much data do you have on your slave drive? Also,one thing that I have running on my system is 'Avast Cleanup Premium' which does a good job of cleaning rubbish out of your OP system and registry which also could help and is very safe. Otherwise you could just do a 'cleanup' through Windows 10 at > This PC > C:\ > Properties > Disc Cleanup and Clean up system files also. Hope this helps, cheers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a HD & a Samsung SSD. Last year after installing the SSD, I had concerns the speed of the thing was going to blow the screen right off the computer. I have had zero problems and if does catch on fire, I'll simply put another SSD in.
What is the best SSD to put in a system according to you folks? I see HP has an SSD and there is the newer (I think it is newer) Samsung V-nand SSD 860 EVO sata 6. Which is the better of the two?

For me the Samsung EVO or PRO are the top SSD and/or M.2 drives, you can't go wrong with them, I'm using the SSD 850 EVO SATA III 2.5 on my old laptop that I've upgraded to a Core i7-2720QM and I use the latest Samsung SSD 970 PRO NVMe M.2 with the Core i7-6700K 4GHz (which I had to save up for as i couldn't afford it and I was using just the old type SATA HDD) on my desktop, they are both absolutely lightning fast, they have improved my systems at least 1000% in boot, read, write speeds to what they were with the old SATA HD drives.

Btw, I built my desktop myself and its a gaming system with the Core i7-6700K 4GHz, Corsair Hydro H100i GTX Liquid Cooling, Asus Maximus VIII Gene LGA1151 ATX, Corsair Hydro H100i GTX Liquid Cooling, G.Skill ‘Ripjaws’ (4X16GB) DDR4-3200MHz RAM, ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 980 Ti DirectCU III GAMING with the Corsair AX-1200i Digital Platinum 1200W Power Supply, this system is an absolute rocket and as fast as an SR 71 Blackbird lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
Samsung Magician will configure your Samsung Drive. 2 SSD's will not increase speed sine Windows only supports advanced features for one. Not all your SATA ports are 6Gbps, probably only one.

@Comp Cmndo

I'm not sure if you were responding to my own comments but I just checked my mobo specs and it states the following:

PRIME B350-PLUS

AMD B350 chipset :
4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray,
Support Raid 0, 1, 10

I'm only using one SSD but I do have Samsung Magician installed and configured correctly

Interface: SATA 6.0 Gb/s
AHCI Mode: Activated
TRIM Status: Activated
RAPID Mode: On
Over provisioning: On

Reaction score

I only buy the top of the line Samsung in the configuration correct for your motherboard. the M.2 NVME SSD are so fast and reliable it almost unbelievable. Intel would be my second choice and with the release of 1803, they had some issues so I would stay away from them for the time being. Any other brand you're taking your chances, issue come up with all of them. Intel had the top of the line SSD a few years ago, however, Samsung has by far surpassed them.

Ask a Question