Start Menu not working

Reaction score
after installing (upgrading) from windows 7 , I can see the start menu button. When I click on it , there is no reaction.
Also the search button , store button and the calculator button.
I already started up the computer many times but that is not working. Can somebody give suggestions what to do to fix it?

Reaction score
I have the same issue right now. i have tried command prompt commands like sfc /scannow its says there are corrupted files and it repairs it but still has no affect.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you happen to have Avast anti-virus installed?

Some people have had luck by performing the following steps:

Step 1: Press Windows Key + R to bring up the Run dialog box.
Step 2: Type in powershell and press Enter.
Step 3: Right-click on the PowerShell icon from the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator
Step 4: Paste the following text in the Powershell window and press Enter.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Wait for the command to run and ignore the red error prompts if they arise. The Start Menu should be operational now.

Reaction score
Do you happen to have Avast anti-virus installed?

Some people have had luck by performing the following steps:

Step 1: Press Windows Key + R to bring up the Run dialog box.
Step 2: Type in powershell and press Enter.
Step 3: Right-click on the PowerShell icon from the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator
Step 4: Paste the following text in the Powershell window and press Enter.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Wait for the command to run and ignore the red error prompts if they arise. The Start Menu should be operational now.
I do not have avast anti virus installed. I followed your steps but when I rightclicked on the powershell icon, nothing appeared , so I cannot select something

Reaction score
I do not have avast anti virus installed. I followed your steps but when I rightclicked on the powershell icon, nothing appeared , so I cannot select something

Do it this way.......
Right click at Start > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, type Powershell > press Enter > wait for PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> to appear > now copy/paste the command prompt given by Ian > press Enter.
If you see any thing in red, ignore them.
When finish, see if Start Menu will work this time.

Reaction score
I have the same issue right now. i have tried command prompt commands like sfc /scannow its says there are corrupted files and it repairs it but still has no affect.

My last "bag of tricks".......
Right click at Start > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the prompt, copy and paste this command.....

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

>press Enter.

It will take some time to finish.
When done, try the Start Menu again.

If that does not help, I am out of ideas.

Reaction score
I read somewhere that Drop Box was a problem for the version of Win 10. I uninstalled it and installed it and now the Start window is working for me. I had this happen on 3 Win 10 computers and it fixed all of them.

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I tried all of the above solutions and none of them worked. I was using Vipre antivirus and when I uninstalled it and went back to using Windows Defender my Start button started working and I haven't had any problems with it since. This was in December. Hope this helps.

Ask a Question