Start menu, settings, shortcuts problem

Reaction score
Hi
I have a Lenovo Yoga 2-11 laptop running Windows 10 Anniversay upgraded by me from the original Windows 8. The laptop has been running quite well for three years and on Windows 10 for 6 months until this week! Now it has been hit with what seems to me to be a complex problem:
- the Start button does nothing, either regular or right click
- none of the icons on my Home Page do anything
- I cannot run MS Edge but I can run Google Chrome by clicking on the Chrome.exe file in Explorer
- chkdsk c: will not run
- Norton Internet security scans get stuck
- Norton Utilities will not run, even from nu.exe
- I can access the Settings menu but it is completely blank and clicking on the individual Settings apps in Explorer does nothing
- I cannot run any MS diagnostics because the extension .diagcab produces the message This file does not have a program associated with it
- some new 'folders' have appeared on my Start screen. Some of these have names starting with CLSID_ and there is also a DXP and a StreamBackedFolder and a ThisDevice folder. They were not there before this problem arose and I did not put them there. They do not open if I click on them.
- In File Explorer there are 8 icons marked system folder under the top heading of folders. The names are strange - one is a downward pointing blue arrow, two are folder icons, one is a music icon, one is a film icon, one is a picture icon, and so on. .
- some software programs work, others do not.

Other than all this, this PC seems to be working OK!

I have not lost any data because I have backups but this laptop is quite loaded with office type software and I would prefer not to have to do a clean install of Windows 10 because of the time it takes to find the keys and reinstall all the software.

Does anyone have any idea what I might do to recover without doing a clean install? By the way I cannot find a registry backup or a restore point on this machine. Seagate tools says that the C: drive is OK but I am not sure that I believe it. I cannot reach Computer Management (This file does not have a program associated with it) so I cannot look at the hidden partitions that are on the hard drive.

Thanks for any advice

Colinfw

Ask a Question