How to disable Settings in the start menu of Windows 10 ?

Reaction score
Hi,

How can I choose which folders appear on start Via Group Policy or Registry of Windows 10? I would like to disable/hidden Settings, so I can deploy the settings to all client in the domain.

Is this the way to do this? First customize Settings > Personalization > Start > Choose which folders appear>Disable Settings on start and then export-startlayout ?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt431718(v=vs.85).aspx

http://www.infrahouse.com/da/blog/author/jan-vilhelmsen/controlling-start-menu-windows-10-using-group-policy

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• Settings Windows 10.JPG
    Settings Windows 10.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,780
Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is this the way to do this?
Looks like a pretty good explanation to me, although.....
It looks like you may have more work to do as "All settings" is still accessible using the "Notifications" icon by the clock as well as by simply holding the Windows Logo key and striking R and typing ms-settings:settings
IF your only objective is removing "Settings" from the Start Menu then it looks like that works fine.

Reaction score
Hi,

I try the first method above...

I change the Settings on Domain User Pc

Settings > Personalization > Start > Choose which folders appear>Disable Settings on start and then export-startlayout

I took the XML file and put it on the Domain Server desktop.

And by gpedit>user config>adminis>start menu>start layout>enable> and typed the xml file path that on the desktop.

But it's didn't hide the Settings from start menu it's only prevent tiles from customizing.

I need to hide domain users settings from start menu by group policy over domain controller.

My domain server 2016 TP4 and my domain user is Windows 10 Pro.

Please help.

Reaction score
Hi Mostafa,

Unfortunately, still i was not able to hide the Settings from Start menu for all users via GPO or registry policy. If you succeed it, please let me know.

Reaction score
Maybe you want to make this one? (check the screenshots)

Because I want to revert it back and enable it and don't know how.

Attachments

• Settings1.png
    Settings1.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,693
  • Settings3.png
    Settings3.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,725

Ask a Question