Stopping new window 10 rebuilds

Reaction score
I am getting really frustrated at having windows 10 rebuilds happening automatically. My computer will just log off and a new windows 10 is automatically updated onto my computer. This can take up to 10 - 20 minutes. Not only that when I then log back in my files are not where I had them before the rebuild, icons are gone from my task bar and I can't access my outlook.
Then I have to go back and restore back to the last windows build. This has happened on several occasions and I don't want any changes to my current windows 10 operating system.
I am not a computer tech so try and get my way through as best I can, but this is annoying that a build happens without my permission.
How do I stop this from happening?
Anyone have any answers?

Reaction score
The last rebuild ( 1803) was in the spring and the one before that was last fall. That is too many for you?
If you are in the Insider program then there are one or two builds a week at the moment as the Fall 2018 release is expected in October.

Or do you mean the cumulative updates that happen once a month on "Patch Tuesday".

Reaction score
Hi Tim, I believe that when I went to restore back it said that it was the April rebuild.
I do think that I have managed to stop the more regular updates by going into my control panel settings and disabling the windows update service.

Reaction score
THe upcoming fall release is supposed to be a Long Term Support release so after that there ought to be a way of preventing the next years releases...but it maybe that only Pro and Enterprise will allow that.
You could try setting your network settings 'metered' .

I have had all these 6 monthly rebuilds and the only thing that has ever changed is that MS persist in removing the old ( W7-W8) solitaire games every time. No files moved or deleted. Now I must note that I keep all my stuff in the standard libraries. The monthly updates usually download sometime in the day and when I shut down at night the shutdown button asks if I want to 'install and shutdown'. I let the PC do that. In the morning it takes a few minutes longer to come up but that is the total disruption to my day.

Last edited:
Reaction score
can you please elaborate when you say standard libraries. I have placed everything into MY DOCUMENTS, but after the rebuild they are no longer there. It also changes my task bar and my outlook is unabled to be accessed:mad:

I have changed my network setting to metered, so lets hope that this helps.
Thanks

Reaction score
If you click on file explorer you should see the standard places. Libraries or folders, same thing.
Documents, Pictures,Music,Downloads, Videos and Desktop. as icons.

These folders are physically under c:\users\<yourusername> If you have multiple usernames then these folder will exists under each username.
Note: These folders can be moved to a different disk. Not as a bad idea as they can get very big. Again, look at properties of the folder and you'll see you can just click on a command to move them. I keep my Downloads on a separate drive as I like to keep a raw or zipped copy of every thing I download.

IIRC MY DOCUMENTS is the old W2000/Xp?Windows 7 way that stuff was stored. If you want to keep using it then it should be located at c:\users\<yourusername>\Documents\My Documents

I think that by default, Outlook filesare c:/users/<yourusername>\Documents\Outlook files

I imagine that you don't use Onedrive because of security . If you did then the standard folders are in the clouds but mirrored under c:\users\Onedrive\<yourusername>

Ask a Question