SOLVED Storage options under settings not working

Reaction score
Settings - System - Storage locations. I have changed the save locations for files under this option. For example moving 'Documents' from my C drive SSD to K partition on my hard drive to save space. Nothing happens. Documents stays where it is and is not added to K. Any new documents show in the original document folder. Can't figure out if I am doing something wrong. Appreciate some advice.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I do this with some regularity to save space on my SSD. When I do, I typically create a data structure on my alternative disk that matches the data structure of my profile folder, so that (assuming a user name of "JohnSmith" which is not likely to be the one that you use)......
C:\Users\JohnSmith\Documents (\Music, \Picture, \Videos, etc. etc.)
Has the same data structure on the other drive, something like
D:\Users\JohnSmith\Documents (\Music, \Picture, \Videos, etc. etc.) or in your case K:\
Once that data structure has been created, I then use file explorer to browse to the original location C:\Users\JohnSmith\Documents (for instance) right click that folder, choose properties and use the "Location" tab and the "Move" button to relocate the contents of that particular folder to the corresponding folder within the data structure that I have created on the alternate drive.
This technique has always worked for me.
NOTE: Do not attempt to move the entire Profile folder only the contents of the individual folders within the individual profile folder.

I also strongly suggest that before moving forward you make sure that all your critical data is backed up to an external resource and safe and you might want to consider also creating a disk image just to be extra safe
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
Thanks for your speedy reply. I will give this a try. Don't know why the built in storage options do not work. I wonder if anyone is using these options successfully.
Thanks again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for your speedy reply. I will give this a try. Don't know why the built in storage options do not work. I wonder if anyone is using these options successfully.
Thanks again.
IDK..... I use them all the time on my Windows 10 Phone and they work fine. Never tried it on my Windows 10 computers. I adopted the method that I use quite a while back, long before there were "storage options" or Windows 10 for that matter.

Reaction score
Not able to find the Location and Move tab in file explorer for the files I am working on. All I get in Properties is General,Sharing,Securtity etc. Some files - for example the Documents folder do show location and move. I think it must have to do with permissions but as Administrator I do show all permissions on the files I am working with. Appreciate any ideas.

Reaction score
this has been an interesting exercise ( at least from my point of view). I now understand that the move and location options are only available with system library files. I have used Windows for years but just drifted into it and never understood how the library system worked. I have always kept music in the itunes folder, pictures in the Picassa folder etc. and ignored the library system. As a result my organization is a mess

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses which have kept me going.
Thank you for perservering and sorting things out to your understanding.
the move and location options are only available with system library files
Actually it might be better if you thought of them as your user profile folders rather than "libraries", as by default your "libraries" will not contain all the folders you might wish to address.
As in C:\Users\YourUserName
As you can see reflected in the picture below, the physical drive on the left D:\users\randy (where all my stuff is actually located) has a similar data structure as the picture on the right C:\users\randy (which for the most part are all empty containers)
Just something I've been doing, since swapping over to an SSD for my OS.
It conserves space on the SSD.
Makes me think that my backup strategy / schema is somehow simpler
AND
IF my OS ever goes sideways, all my actual important stuff is on a different drive, so if I would ever need to clean install Windows again, I just need to repoint the containers to the D:\users\randy profile by using the location tab and the move button and everything is back as it should be.

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
I am so glad you sent me this reply. When I compared it to my current setup (which I thought was OK) I find that my new structure does not contain all my information - eg. Documents contains only my newest files and the rest is missing. Fortunately I have backup of the missing files so I can work at restoring these. Anyway this has given me more food for thought. Hopefully I'll get sorted out in due course. You may not be rid of me yet!

Ask a Question