Suddenly ping fails in Cmd window

Reaction score
Yet another infuriating win10 screwup.

My batch files use ping to check connection status before running ftp backup transmissions. Until recently, ping in a cmd window worked fine for this.

Now ping always fails in a cmd window, even though the box is connected, can ftp and browse etc.

Enabling "File and Printer sharing - ICMP" in Firewall advanced accomplished exactly nothing. Perhaps not surprising since the Windows firewall is turned off, because all boxes here are behind a NAT router.

What do i have to do to get ping working again?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Are you getting a specific error message to let you know ping command will not work?
  • For example: not recognized as an internal/external command

Or are you simply seeing a series of Request time out's?

If the former, you probably need to set your environment variables PATH to point to %systemroot%\System32 for both the System and Current User environments. Just type environment variables into search and you will see links to both options appear at top of list.

If the latter, you need to set up an inbound rule — not for the firewall you are not even using; but for your router's internal firewall. You can use a similar approach as you all ready attempted with the Windows Firewall but apply this principal to the router's firewall.

You may also need to check any software firewalls you have setup via an antivirus application like Norton, Avast, AVG etcetera each of which have their own firewall settings.

The other possibility is that a recent Windows security update has edited your Group Policy ADMX file and the change there is what is preventing you from doing this basic command. You'd need to edit the ADMX file in that instance to remove the changes.

Reaction score
> Or are you simply seeing a series of Request time out's?

That.

> If the latter, you need to set up an inbound rule — not for the firewall you are not even using; but for your router's internal firewall. You can use a similar approach as you all ready attempted with the Windows Firewall but apply this principal [sic] to the router's firewall.

But the router has not been changed at all, and ping just stopped working.

> You may also need to check any software firewalls you have setup via an antivirus

That has not changed either.

> The other possibility is that a recent Windows security update has edited your Group Policy ADMX file

That seems the only remaining possibility. It would not be the first time Windows Update silently, without permission and destructively changed my settings.

> You'd need to edit the ADMX file in that instance to remove the changes.[/QUOTE]

How does one do that?

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
The fact the ping command begins but simply returns time outs suggests its not a Policy issue.

If you want though you can manually go through each policy and take a look to see if anything sticks out as a likely culprit.
  • Open File Explorer and in its address bar type %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions then press Enter key
  • If you double-left-click on a policy listed there you will be prompted how to open it.

Remove the check
    next to Always use this app to open .admx files then select Notepad

You'll now be able to review its content.

• Should you decide there is something wrong and you want to edit it then you'll need to take ownership first.

• This is done by the following method.
  • Right-click on Start then left-click on Command Prompt (Admin) > Click Yes on the UAC confirmation

For an example we'll take ownership of Terminalserver-WinIP.admx

• At the command prompt type the following commands, pressing Enter key to execute each one:
  • Code:
    takeown /f C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\Terminalserver-WinIP.admx
  • Code:
    icacls C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\Terminalserver-WinIP.admx /grant Administrators:F
  • Code:
    notepad C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\Terminalserver-WinIP.admx

You can now edit the content and save changes.

Generally, the issue is not the Policy change itself, but the fact the editing of the .admx file has not automatically updated its .adml file too. So if you find a change that is affecting you, the likely issue is that its .adml was not updated correctly. All you can do is notify Microsoft if that is the case as they will release a new update to resolve that; and in the meanwhile you can simply delete any offending code from the .admx file until Microsoft release a corrected update.

Regards,

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
By the way what antivirus software are you using on your system?

Also, have you tried the basic command prompt commands:
  • ipconfig /flushdns
  • int ip reset

Could just be a sticky setting there giving all the grief and a reset may get her up and running again

Reaction score
By the way what antivirus software are you using on your system?

Also, have you tried the basic command prompt commands:
  • ipconfig /flushdns
  • int ip reset

Could just be a sticky setting there giving all the grief and a reset may get her up and running again
Antivirus is BitDefender. That has not changed either. Turning it off does not affect the cmd window ping problem

int ip reset: 'int' is not recognized as an internal or external command

Interestingly, though browsers and ftp utlities find and use ethernet & wifi perfectly well, ipconfig /all shows Ethernet and Wireless media states "disconnected".

I can ping this machine from another network device.

The longer I use Win10, the more I loathe its marketbloatware and unreliability. How I wish I could dispense with it.

Last edited:

Ask a Question