Surface Pro 3

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct place for this problem. My Surface Pro 3 has just run out of warranty and the Pro 3 will not start up. Every since I have owned this laptop it has failed many times, but always starts after a reboot, this time it will not start. (I am not happy Mr. Microsoft) I have tried all the fixes that I have read about. I am in Thailand and cannot find anybody who can repair for me, can anybody suggest a fix. Any suggestions for a fix!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issues with your Surface product.
I don't have much experience with such devices since early on in their production line where I had the opportunity to work on both a Surface RT and a Surface Pro (before they started getting numbers associated with their names)

You don't mention that actual nature of your problem and it could literally be anything from hardware failure (hard disk or mainboard) to a software problem (third party or the Operating System).
I know that there have been multiple firmware updates issued by Microsoft for these types of devices and I assume you have kept up with those.

My main problem with Surface products are that they (from the very beginning) have recieved consistently very poor scores regarding their actual repairability.
https://www.neowin.net/news/surface-pro-3-receives-worst-repairability-rating-on-ifixit

So while most laptop style devices can be difficult to actually repair, I typically avoid the Surface line of products (purchasing or recommending) simply for that reason.

Perhaps if you could describe in some detail as to your specific problem their may be a forum member with similar experiences who might provide a potential solution.
Does it turn on / power up at all?
Do you see anything at all on the screen, any POST details or splash screen?
Have you tried booting using alternate methods..... Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, booting from the installation media?

Reaction score
Good morning, the problem with my Surface Pro 3, is that it does not turn on. does not power up. I have checked that the battery is charged, I have tried re-setting by holding the Volume switch with the start switch, at the same time, following the many instructions gained from the internet.

But alias nothing, its dead, An expensive piece of equipment, just out of warranty and it fails.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Paul,

If it doesn't even turn on, then that isn't a good sign.

Are there battery level LEDs on the Surface Pro 3? You mention that you've checked it's charged and I was wondering if there was a way to confirm it has charge left, rather than it "should be" charged (i.e. plugged in for a while). If there's no way to visually confirm, could the charging contacts need a clean, as in that scenario, the charger would appear to be powered but the Surface pro wouldn't charge.

Can you try holding down the power button for 30 seconds and then see if you can power it on after this? There has been a bug where the tablet can get stuck in sleep mode and this may break it out.

When doing the Volume + Power button trick, did you make sure it was only "Volume +" you held down? (i.e. "Volume +" and Power buttons for 15 seconds)

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

If it doesn't even turn on, then that isn't a good sign.

Are there battery level LEDs on the Surface Pro 3? You mention that you've checked it's charged and I was wondering if there was a way to confirm it has charge left, rather than it "should be" charged (i.e. plugged in for a while). If there's no way to visually confirm, could the charging contacts need a clean, as in that scenario, the charger would appear to be powered but the Surface pro wouldn't charge.

Can you try holding down the power button for 30 seconds and then see if you can power it on after this? There has been a bug where the tablet can get stuck in sleep mode and this may break it out.

When doing the Volume + Power button trick, did you make sure it was only "Volume +" you held down? (i.e. "Volume +" and Power buttons for 15 seconds)
Thanks for the advice but have tried this without any luck, it's dead.

Ask a Question