Syncing

Reaction score
well I was here about a month ago and had asked for help when I opted to choose google chrome as my default browser due to the fact that id been using on my android for ever. well since then I have had insane syncing issues because of my lack of knowledge on what will happen if I unlink chrome completely. well it has been done 4 different time with lots of down time and additional costs. fourth and final time about 3 hours ago. I have bought a second laptop and cell phone to troubleshoot problems during this. not to mention my only phone with work related files down for up to 2 days at a time .. my question is.... I want to use micro windows 10 on my 2 pcs only and maybe google on android only no syncing between the two. or install google to windows 10 and only sync my gmail acct nothing else is this possible whice I think it is but have failed to achieve any thing successful except buying backup phones and pcs so I can keep running. please help and advise thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Rick and welcome to the forum, or perhaps welcome back to the forum.
It's not exactly clear from your post what your "syncing" issues might be.
I can make some general assumptions.....
1. That you have somehow linked your gmail account email address as your log in account to your computer when you initially created your user / Microsoft login identity.
2. That in using the new native built in Mail / Calendar / People apps you are not particularly thrilled with the sync performance for your google / gmail account.

First of all
what will happen if I unlink chrome completely
Chrome is just a browser and has nothing at all to do with your Gmail or Microsoft Account. You can use it, with or without an associated Gmail / Google account

Second, if I understand correctly you wish to
I want to use micro windows 10 on my 2 pcs only and maybe google on android only no syncing between the two. or install google to windows 10 and only sync my gmail acct nothing else
no syncing between the two = Perfectly doable.
only sync my gmail account nothing else = doable but the nothing else part is a deal breaker, because.......
the mail, calendar, people apps are joined at the hip and use your mail account across all three.
AND
You don't actually "install Google" you install "Chrome" the browser and then you use the various Google apps, gmail, drive, maps, google+, hangouts, etc. from within the browser.

I would strongly recommend creating a new account on your Windows 10 devices and you have two basic choices
1. Get yourself a righteous Microsoft Account (e-mail address removed) or (e-mail address removed) This will allow you to take full advantage of all the features and functions in Windows 10
OR
2. Create a new local user account This type of account, while preferred by many will not support all of the features and functions built into Windows 10, which some might say is not necessarily a bad thing.

In either case make sure when you add the new account you make it a member of the local administrator's group and not a standard user.
You can still use Chrome as your preferred or even default browser
AND
In the interest of maintaining your sanity use all things Google inside Chrome and keep that account away from the Mail, Calendar and People apps.
I know, I know, many people make it work, hell I've made it work just fine, but only as a subordinate account and not as a primary account.

You could probably save yourself a lot of headache and expense of new hardware if you simply purchased something like Outlook.
It's a full featured email client and will serve quite nicely for multiple accounts.
I have four primary email accounts
gmail.com (Google)
Comcast.net (Xfinity)
Hotmail.com (Microsoft)
Outlook.com (Microsoft)
All work great in Outlook. The top three configured as POP3 / SMTP and the fourth as Active (exchange)

That way my browsers can be my browsers and my email client can be my email client and on my Operating System I use both a Microsoft Account and a Local Account depending on my mood or needs. Switching Users as easily as a click, when I want.

Ask a Question