SOLVED System Interrupts

Reaction score
All,

Went through a W7 --> W10 upgrade of a Lenovo Thinkpad about 3 weeks ago. Went smoothly, no issues at all, been behaving wonderfully. Since the upgrade, I disabled "fast startup" and usually shutdown the laptop every evening using a shortcut with the shutdown /s command. Beginning with a few days ago, when restarting the machine in the morning, the system starts up, allows me to login, presents the desktop, and then all but freezes. I say "all but freezes" because I can click about on the desktop with the mouse, but no applications will open that I have shortcuts to on either the taskbar or desktop (like Firefox), and pretty much the only application I can open is task manager. Task manager shows a system task running and consuming anywhere from 80 - 90% of the CPU and anywhere from 20 - 50% of memory. I do not have an option to kill the task and the laptop is, for the most part, useless.

I cannot fathom why all of a sudden this process is out of control. I have not installed any new software, nor deleted anyway. It is simply baffling.

If anyone has ever run across this, or knows of a few things I can take a look at to troubleshoot it, I'd really appreciated it.

Thank you!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try Clean Booting the system and see if that provides any relief.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
If so then you will need to investigate further by slowly re-enabling the items one by one and testing (rebooting after each change) to see if you can discover the offending program or process.

Reaction score
Trouble,

I haven't tried your clean boot triage method yet because things seem to have returned to normal. I'm not quite sure why, not doing anything differently, but if the symptoms return, I'll follow your triage approach.

Thanks for reading and your help.

Ask a Question