System Language

Reaction score
Hello,
I live in Japan and while here I purchased a Surface Pro 3 from the local electronic shop and of course the default system language was Japanese. With the help of my fiancée we changed it to something I could understand. At that time I was using windows 8.1. It wasn't perfect but it worked. Only system updates and login was in Japanese.
I just upgraded to Windows 10 and followed the same steps but now much more of the core functions are in Japanese.

Is there a way to just completely remove the Japanese from my computer? I was hoping that since this was a free upgrade I would have some options but I didn't see any.

Thanks

Reaction score
I was hoping that since this was a free upgrade I would have some options but I didn't see any.
No. The upgrade path is " Like to Like "
You have a Win 8.1 Japanese version, you get an upgrade to Win 10 Japanese version.......... like to like.

If you are looking at a permanent solution, the best way is to buy a retail version of Windows 10 with language of your choice. Then do a Clean Install over your Japanese version.
It won't be long before retail stores start selling Win 10 software.
English version shouldn't be hard to find. Other languages, may be a different story.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response even though I don't like the answer :confused:.
At least it is straight forward!
It is just a pain now because the ctlr-alt-del screen is in Japanese.
I guess I need to stop being lazy and figure out what the squiggly markings actually mean.
Again thank you for your time!

Reaction score
I have an English language laptop in dual boot.
In the partition which has Insider Preview, I installed Chinese Traditional language and set it as default.
While File Explorer were in Chinese, almost everything in Start Menu was in English.
Give me a moment and I'll show you with couple of screenshots.

Reaction score
File Explorer............
file explorer.jpg

Start Menu..........

Start Menu.jpg

Ask a Question