Task manager won’t open

Reaction score
Hey guys, my laptop is a bit of a mess, it freezes ALOT and it’s probably my fault because updates take too long and are boring so I used to always delay them.

Now when I try and update something it never works anyway, it’s like my laptop’s gone “No, you had your chance, sod off”. Always fails for some reason.

I am genuinely terrible with computers so any help is appreciated to speed it up and stop it freezing/crashing.

ANYWAY, I’m trying to clean it up and at least get it useable, which means uninstalling some of the annoying, useless programs I have. So I try uninstalling Chromium (a uselsss copy of Chrome which never goes away, like a disease and I don’t know where it came from) and it always says please wait to finish installing the program or something along those lines.

So a bit of digging around would indicate that I just pull up the task manager, and close this installer? No. My laptop decides no, sometimes it comes up with a blue loading circle, other times nothing full stop, sometimes it freezes.

Ok now here I start getting out of my depth, someone said to go into command prompt (admin) and then do some techy magical stuff, but no, again nothing happens when I press that button (right click start).

Someone has to have some idea right? But if you do, explain it step by step because I really hate computers.... and clearly they know it!

In addition, last time I shit it down it said update and shut down. Then when I turned it on it starting updating something as well. No idea what was updating, but I guess that was the problem?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Scot,

with such a long list of problems, I suggest you do a system reset, this will give you the option to keep your files and folders but will delete 3rd party apps, worth a thought?: :):):)

reset this pc.jpg

You may have a different window:

reset options.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Scot,

with such a long list of problems, I suggest you do a system reset, this will give you the option to keep your files and folders but will delete 3rd party apps, worth a thought?: :):):)

View attachment 9352

You may have a different window:

View attachment 9353

Thanks for the reply.... one more thing, I can’t open network setting to connect to the internet... and settings will not open.... the list keeps getting longer I know

Reaction score
Hi Scot,

like I said, a system reset might be the smart thing to do!. ;););)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might want to grab the latest Windows ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Use the media creation tool to download and save the ISO to a local folder on your computer.
THEN
Double click to mount the ISO as a virtual optical drive and use Setup.exe from there to perform an in-place upgrade / repair.

IF you can't connect to the internet you may have to use a second computer that can connect to obtain the ISO and then you would need to transfer it to the problem system.

This is a relatively safe operation and will maintain your data, drivers and programs in-place.....
However you should make sure that you have backups of all your critical data before attempting the task.

Reaction score
Hi Scot,

like I said, a system reset might be the smart thing to do!. ;););)

Ok so I managed to do a system reset from the start up screen, and kept my files.

Now the pc is mostly useable and I defragged it, ran all my anti-virus searches/scans and fixes.

Disk usage is normally around 90-100% which seems odd, but my main problem now is that it’s deleted all my apps from the reset (which it’s supposed to do) - so first I add to download my anti-virus which was easy but I’ve also lost everything else like Microsoft word.powerpoint which I need now for work.

So I go into the removed apps icon on my desktop and click on my Microsoft word to redownload it, but on almost everything I click on it says “we are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found” on a Microsoft support page.

That’s my priority right now as I have a deadline of just over a week to do a presentation

It’s Microsoft office 2010 which I paid upfront for and have no monthly/yearly subscription so I’m not even sure how to redownload it because I don’t think I have a policy number or subscription number or anything

Ask a Question