Task Scheduler Broken

Reaction score
The task will run manually, but as soon as I click its properties I get this error.
"MMC has detected an error in the snap-in and will unload it"

Then FX:{c7b8fb06-bfe1-4c2e-9217-7a69a95bbac4}

Have run sfc /scannow - Doesn't detect any errors. This is an ongoing error, I have now upgraded to version 1703 same result. Spoke to Microsoft, they can't / won't help as my PC is a custom built with an ASUStek inc motherboard.

Regedit32

Reaction score
That particular error code implies a Registry key was unable to be actioned/modified (possibly due to permission issues).

Microsoft's TechNet site offers a script that is capable of removing then adding back corrupt Tasks (after correcting the errors in them), and that may help you resolve the issue.

You can get that here, along with the information on how to use it:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Repair-CorruptedTampered-c8d2e975

Reaction score
Thanks, have tried this before. I have also previously removed all tasks by deleting the registry keys completely, I have also created a new user and the error still exists. Microsoft tells me thy do not support fixing this? I scheduled a call back and they basically said we do not support fixing this,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well can you post the details of the specific task that is triggering this event then?

Reaction score
Any task causes it, I have created a new task that works fine, but if I try to go into its properties it crashes the task scheduler.
Have attached the new task.. Renamed from .xml to .txt to allow uploading.

Attachments

• ToshDocs J Docs.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 856

Regedit32

Reaction score
That seems fine.

Try this then:
  • In search/Cortana field type task scheduler
  • Right-click on Task Scheduler Desktop App and select Open file location
  • Right-click on Task Scheduler shortcut and select Properties
  • Select the shortcut tab
  • Replace contents of the Target field with:
    Code:
    %windir%\SysWOW64\taskschd.msc /s
Sample image

sample.png

Click Apply, then when prompted, click Continue, and finally click OK

Now try again. Does the error still come?

Reaction score
Tried this, still the same. Just clicking on the task for properties crashes it. Importing a task crashes it, but running a task or exporting a task works fine.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you right-click on Start and select Event Viewer then in left pane select Windows logs > Application and/or System are there any events displaying that match date & time a crash occurs?

If yes, can you post the event ID and any information it gives.

Regedit32

Reaction score
One other thing you can confirm for me please:
  • In your Search/Cortana field type turn then select Turn Windows features on or off
  • Expand the .NET Framework 3.5
  1. Is .NET Framework 3.5 checked?
  2. Are the two sub values Windows Communication Foundation HTTP or Non-HTTP Activation checked?
Sample image

sample2.png

Also, have you tried removing the FX key from Registry then restarting computer to allow Windows to rebuild this key? That can be done by:
  • Typing comm in your Search/Cortana field
  • Right-click on Command Prompt in search results and select Run as administrator
  • Click Yes when User Account Control prompts you
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MMC\SnapIns\FX:{c7b8fb06-bfe1-4c2e-9217-7a69a95bbac4}" /f

Press Enter key

Close the console and any other open programs.

Restart computer to allow Windows to rebuild this key​

Reaction score
If you right-click on Start and select Event Viewer then in left pane select Windows logs > Application and/or System are there any events displaying that match date & time a crash occurs?

If yes, can you post the event ID and any information it gives.

Checked both, no logs for the crash time..

Regedit32

Reaction score
That is unusual, as the Event Viewer records all events good or bad, even seemingly odd things like User signed-out, or shut down.

I'm running out of ideas on this issue.

You may ultimately have to do an in-place upgrade [ i.e. download the windows 10 ISO image matching your current setup, then mount it, and run set-up, and choose to save files and settings, so it can reinstall Windows over the top of itself ( while keeping files / settings you want kept ), in the hope it will iron out whatever hidden bug is causing this.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help, as it works even though I can't edit any tasks at least they do run and I just have to create tasks from scratch instead of editing, I can live with that rather than having to reinstall all my apps etc..
Thanks again..

Ask a Question